Homogeneous function of degree n

D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/D(tz)So, the problem is to show that no matter what value of t you plug into this equation, it will always be true?I can do that:Start with (n)(t^n-1)[f(x,y,z)]= (x) * D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/D(tx) +(y) * D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/D(ty) +(z) * D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/D(tz) Let's call the left hand side G(t) and the right hand side H(t). Does it seem reasonable to say that G
clairaut
A function f is called homogeneous of degree n if it satisfies the equation

[f(tx,ty,tz)]=(t^n) *[f(x,y,z)] for all t, where n is a positive integer and f has continuous second order partial derivatives".

I don't have equation editor so let curly d=D

I need help to show that

(x)(D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/Dtx)+(y)(D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/Dty)+ (z)(D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/Dtz) = (n) * [f(x,y,z)]

The hint that is given is to use the chain rule to differentiate [f(tx,ty,tz)] with respect to t.

I can get to

(n)(t^n-1)[f(x,y,z)]= (x) * D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/D(tx)
+(y) * D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/D(ty)
+(z) * D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/D(tz)

And I only see

x(Df/Dx)+y(Df/Dy)+z(Df/Dz) = n[f(x,y,z)]

For n=1 and the trivial t=1

However, this equality should work for all n and ALL t

HELP ME.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
clairaut said:
I can get to

This equation is true for all (real and positive) t, so you can use whatever you like. The right choice will give you the result you need.

Please do not add so many pointless empty lines, they make the post hard to read.

I don't have equation editor
You can use LaTeX between $$ $$ or ## ## (inline mode):
$$\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}$$

You haven't answered my question...

I'm sorry, but I can see why it would work for all positive and real t, but the correct derivation gets rid of t and only leaves n

Again, I see why n=1 would give the
CORRECT derivation only.

CORRECT DERIVATION
x(Df/Dx)+y(Df/Dy)+z(Df/Dz) = n[f(x,y,z)]

NO t^n-1

Help

clairaut said:
You haven't answered my question...
I did.

Instead of a specific value for n (like n=1), put a specific value for t in your equation.

For which value of t do you get tn-1=1?

I get

Is different from the correct answer,

(n) * [f(x,y,z)] = (x) * D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/D(tx)

For which value of t do you get t^n-1=1?

t= 1

Shouldn't t be all positive real numbers and NOT only 1?

You wrote a wrong "correct answer" in post 5 (at least one that differs from the one in post 1).

The correct answer is a special case of your result. If you set t=1 in your equation (remember: it is true for all positive t, so it is true for t=1), you get the correct answer.

I've corrected post 1.

I'm still confused.

Suppose t = 10

What happens?

Your explanation is not very comprehensive.

I can see that it works for t=1. Plug in and no brainer... But this derivation is not this trivial.

I'm sorry, but how long have you been answering questions here on pf?

Thank you

Last edited:
Your explanation is not very comprehensive.
Your question is not very clear, and changing with time (so you want an answer with t inside now? What changed since you wrote the original post?).
I can see that it works for t=1. Plug in and no brainer...
Good.
But this derivation is not this trivial.
If everything in mathematics would be trivial, we wouldn't need mathematicians.
I'm sorry, but how long have you been answering questions here on pf?
1 year 9 months.

I wrote "this derivation is NOT this trivial" to point out your trivial explanation.

I don't mean any offense... But this derivation is not merely a plug in 1.

Last edited:
mfb said:
Your question is not very clear, and changing with time (so you want an answer with t inside now? What changed since you wrote the original post?).Look at first post please. That is the correct answer I have derived by using the chain rule.

Notice how there is still

t^n-1 with which I must cancel by another method other than simply plugging in t=1.

Plugging in t=1 perfectly removes that factor.
I don't see the problem.

Plugging in t=10 doesn't appear to work as it works for plugging in t=1

How would it work for t=10?

Hello??

Somebody help me??

Last edited:
clairaut said:
I need help to show that

(x)(D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/Dtx)+(y)(D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/Dty)+ (z)(D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/Dtz) = (n) * [f(x,y,z)]

The left hand side of this equation has t's in it, but the right hand side does not. What is your full problem statement? I suspect it is
[tex] x \frac{\partial f(x,y,z)}{\partial x} + y \frac{\partial f(x,y,z)}{\partial y} + z \frac{\partial f(x,y,z)}{\partial z} = n f(x,y,z) [/tex]

This is important because when they suggest that you add in t and differentiate with respect to it, you have an extra variable that you are free to do whatever you want with. In particular, you can make t=1 and just hope that you get the correct answer at the end, and you don't have to worry about it working for other values of t.

Office shredder,(n)(t^n-1)[f(x,y,z)]= (x) * D[f(tx,ty,tz)]/D(tx)

The above should turn into

(n)[f(x,y,z)]= (x) * D[f(x,y,z)]/D(x)

+(y) * D[f(x,y,tz)]/D(y)

+(z) * D[f(x,y,z)]/D(z)

For all real t and for all positive integers n

It is obvious and ludicrously clear that this derivation will work for the no brainer t=1 and n=1

how does this derivation work for the rest of t OTHER THAN 1??

Last edited:
Can somebody who desires a bit of a challenge derive the derivation in post 18 using t= 7 ?I am not interested in people looking to just find one condition that makes this derivation true.

Never thought I would be more knowledgeable and more detailed than a physics forum tutor

I guess I won't share also. YEAH CAPITALISM

Related to Homogeneous function of degree n

1. What is a homogeneous function of degree n?

A homogeneous function of degree n is a mathematical function where each term in the function has the same total degree. This means that when all variables in the function are multiplied by a constant, the result is a constant multiple of the original function.

2. How do you determine the degree of a homogeneous function?

The degree of a homogeneous function can be determined by adding up the exponents of each variable in each term of the function. If each term has the same total degree, then the function is homogeneous of that degree.

3. What is the significance of homogeneous functions in science?

Homogeneous functions are commonly used in science, especially in physics and economics, to describe relationships between variables in a way that is independent of the units of measurement. This allows for more accurate and generalizable results.

4. Can a non-linear function be homogeneous?

Yes, a function can be both non-linear and homogeneous. The linearity of a function refers to whether it follows a straight line, while homogeneity refers to the degree of the function. A function can be non-linear but still have all terms with the same degree, making it a homogeneous function of that degree.

5. How are homogeneous functions used in optimization problems?

Homogeneous functions are often used in optimization problems because they have the property of Euler's homogeneous function theorem, which states that the partial derivatives of a homogeneous function of degree n will also be homogeneous functions of degree n-1. This allows for easier calculation and solving of optimization problems.