Hooke's law and wave velocity related problem

In summary, the wave velocity in a string obeying Hooke's Law is Y when the extension is V. If the extension is increased to 1.5Y, the wave velocity V' becomes 1.21V. This can be calculated using the equation V=√(T/mass per unit length) and substituting T for Y*area*extension/original length. The resulting equation, V/V' =√(y/1.5y), gives V' = 1.21V.
harini07

Homework Statement

The extension in a string, obeying hooke’s law is Y when wave velocity in it is V. if extension is increased to 1.5Y, then wave velocity V’ becomes?

1) V' =V. 2)V'= 1.22V . 3)V'=1.5V. 4) V'=0.75V.

Homework Equations

wave velocity= frequency*wave length.

The Attempt at a Solution

the frequency will be unchanged in both the cases, so v/v' = Y/1.5Y , which gives V'= 1.5V. but this is not the answer. where did i go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
harini07 said:
The extension in a string, obeying hooke’s law is Y when wave velocity in it is V.
Do you mean tension?

DrClaude said:
Do you mean tension?
nope. it's the extension and not tension.

So your are simply changing the length of the string.
harini07 said:
the frequency will be unchanged in both the cases
Have you ever played a guitar (or seen someone playing one)?

DrClaude said:
So your are simply changing the length of the string.

Have you ever played a guitar (or seen someone playing one)?
except in movies no.

Think about how someone changes the notes on a guitar.

By the way, it would be helpful if you came up with more "relevant equations."

DrClaude said:
Think about how someone changes the notes on a guitar.

By the way, it would be helpful if you came up with more "relevant equations."
in particularly? there is this hooke's law which states F(force) = -K(spring constant)*x (extension). how to relate this with wave velocity?

I realize now that the problem statement is not clear. How is the extension changed? By taking a longer length of the same string, or stretching it? I was assuming the former.

Do you know the equation for the wave velocity of a string as a function of the string tension? The equation has to take into account the fact that the string has mass.

Likes harini07
Chestermiller said:
Do you know the equation for the wave velocity of a string as a function of the string tension? The equation has to take into account the fact that the string has mass.
Yup. V=√(T/mass per unit length). Substituting T for Y*area*extension/original length. Since the other components like mass, length,Young's modulus,area are unchanged, I'm equating V/V' =√(y/1.5y). Which gives V/V' = 0.82. thus I'm getting V' = 1.21V. Is this method correct?

harini07 said:
Yup. V=√(T/mass per unit length). Substituting T for Y*area*extension/original length. Since the other components like mass, length,Young's modulus,area are unchanged, I'm equating V/V' =√(y/1.5y). Which gives V/V' = 0.82. thus I'm getting V' = 1.21V. Is this method correct?
Yes.

Likes harini07

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount it is stretched or compressed.

2. How is Hooke's Law related to wave velocity?

Hooke's Law is often used in understanding the behavior of waves, as it helps determine the force exerted on a medium by a wave. This force is directly related to the velocity of the wave.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a wave?

The velocity of a wave is affected by the medium through which it is traveling, the properties of that medium (such as density and elasticity), and the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

4. How can Hooke's Law be used to solve wave velocity related problems?

By using Hooke's Law, we can calculate the force exerted on a medium by a wave, and then use Newton's Second Law to determine the acceleration of the medium. From there, we can use the equation v = √(F/μ) to solve for the velocity of the wave.

5. Can Hooke's Law be applied to all types of waves?

Hooke's Law is most commonly applied to mechanical waves, such as sound waves and water waves. However, it can also be used to understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves.