How Does Charge Redistribute When Capacitors Are Connected in Series?

• Thread starter xxkylexx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, two capacitors, C1 = 4.0 µF and C2 = 2.0 µF, were charged in series across a 95 V battery and then disconnected from both the battery and each other. When connected positive plate to positive plate and negative plate to negative plate, the resulting charge on each capacitor is ___ µC (C1) and ___ µC (C2). The equation Q = CV and 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 were used to calculate the charge on each capacitor when in series with the battery. However, the equivalent capacitance of 4/3 and the charge after the capacitors were hooked together, Q1 + Q2, did
xxkylexx
1. Capacitors C1 = 4.0 µF and C2 = 2.0 µF are charged as a series combination across a 95 V battery. The two capacitors are disconnected from the battery and from each other. They are then connected positive plate to positive plate and negative plate to negative plate. Calculate the resulting charge on each capacitor. ___ µC (C1)
___ µC (C2)

2. Q = CV , 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2
3. First, I calculated the charge on each capacitor while they were in series connected to the battery-- Which is 380 and 190, respectively. I then calculated the equivalent capacitance to be 4/3, and think that Q1 + Q2 (the charge after they are hooked together) should equal 380, but I can't ever seem to get a correct answer. I know how to solve this if they are in parallel, but this series configuration is screwing me up.Any help is appreciated.Thanks so much,
Kyle

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone able to assist with this one?

Hello Kyle,

I can understand your confusion with the series configuration of capacitors. Let me try to explain it in a simpler way.

When capacitors are connected in series, the equivalent capacitance is given by the formula Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2. In this case, the equivalent capacitance would be 1/Ceq = 1/4 + 1/2 = 3/4. This means that the equivalent capacitance is 4/3 µF.

Now, let's calculate the charge on each capacitor when they are connected in series to the battery. Using the formula Q = CV, we get Q1 = 4 µF * 95 V = 380 µC and Q2 = 2 µF * 95 V = 190 µC.

After disconnecting the capacitors from the battery and connecting them positive plate to positive plate and negative plate to negative plate, the equivalent capacitance remains the same, but the charge on each capacitor changes. This is because the charge is redistributed between the two capacitors.

To calculate the new charge on each capacitor, we can use the formula Q = CV. Since the equivalent capacitance is 4/3 µF, the charge on each capacitor would be Q = (4/3 µF) * 95 V = 380/3 µC = 126.67 µC.

Therefore, the resulting charge on each capacitor would be 126.67 µC for C1 and C2.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of connecting capacitors in series. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Related to How Does Charge Redistribute When Capacitors Are Connected in Series?

1. What is the purpose of hooking capacitors together?

The purpose of hooking capacitors together is to increase the overall capacitance, or storage of electrical charge, in a circuit. This can be useful in applications where a larger amount of energy storage is required.

2. How do I hook capacitors together?

To hook capacitors together, you can connect them in series or parallel. In series, the positive terminal of one capacitor is connected to the negative terminal of another, and so on. In parallel, all of the positive terminals are connected together, as are all of the negative terminals.

3. What is the effect of hooking capacitors together in series?

Hooking capacitors together in series will result in a decrease in overall capacitance. This is because the total capacitance is inversely proportional to the sum of the individual capacitances.

4. What is the effect of hooking capacitors together in parallel?

Hooking capacitors together in parallel will result in an increase in overall capacitance. This is because the total capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances.

5. Are there any limitations to hooking capacitors together?

Yes, there are limitations to hooking capacitors together. One limitation is that the capacitors must have the same voltage rating to ensure that they can handle the same amount of electrical charge. Additionally, the capacitors should have similar capacitance values to ensure that they share the charge evenly.