Horizontal projectile motion lab

In summary: In practice, "measuring apparatus" isn't always accurate and it's often not possible to perfectly measure something. So I would encourage you to take some measurements and try to come up with an estimate of the uncertainty in those measurements.
VitaminK
Homework Statement
The assigment is to calculate the inital velocity of a marble rolling off a table. I'm not supposed to perform the lab itself, so all the values presented here are made up.
Relevant Equations
y=Voy×t-(gt^2)/2

Vox=x/t
This is how I think the set up of the lab should look like.

1588514312814.png

I've decided the height to be y=1,5m.
The length x is assumed to be 0.32m.
1588515768144.png
where Voy =0m/s
1588515797057.png
the time it takes for the marble to drop 1,5m is 0,55s
1588515952632.png
the inital velocity of the marble is around 0,47m/s
I Think I have the calculations correct. My problem is the discussion part. Since all my values are made up how credible are my results? What could errors in a visual lab be?

Physics news on Phys.org
VitaminK said:
My problem is the discussion part. Since all my values are made up how credible are my results? What could errors in a visual lab be?
You could start with the obvious. What thing did you directly measure? What quantity were you trying to calculate based on that raw measurement? What things would you need to assume to make the calculation? How reliable are those assumptions? How accurate was your raw measurement? How might you go about testing any of it?

What are the forces acting on the marble?

gmax137 said:
What are the forces acting on the marble?

Friction from the table and air. And also gravity

VitaminK said:
Friction from the table

That also begs the question of when the motion is supposed to start. Your diagram has a ##15\text{cm}## length labelled onto it; perhaps you are supposed to let ##t=0## when the particle is ##15\text{cm}## from the edge of the table, invent a suitable coefficient of friction and use the reduced velocity once it reaches the edge for your ##V_{ox}##.

etotheipi said:
That also begs the question of when the motion is supposed to start. Your diagram has a ##15\text{cm}## length labelled onto it; perhaps you are supposed to let ##t=0## when the particle is ##15\text{cm}## from the edge of the table, invent a suitable coefficient of friction and use the reduced velocity once it reaches the edge for your ##V_{ox}##.
Think that is a bit advanced for me (doing high school physics :) )

VitaminK said:
Think that is a bit advanced for me (doing high school physics :) )

Fair enough if you haven't covered the material yet, though in terms of difficulty it's nothing harder than the projectile motion part you've already done. If you're interested, you might just say the frictional force has a magnitude ##F## and acts to the left, and that the work done by friction over the ##15\text{cm}## equals the change in kinetic energy over that ##15\text{cm}##.

How about some of the suggestions @jbriggs444 mentioned?

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
Fair enough if you haven't covered the material yet, though in terms of difficulty it's nothing harder than the projectile motion part you've already done. If you're interested, you might just say the frictional force has a magnitude ##F## and acts to the left, and that the work done by friction over the ##15\text{cm}## equals the change in kinetic energy over that ##15\text{cm}##.

How about some of the suggestions @jbriggs444 mentioned?

Well I haven't measured anything directly, everything is assumed. So I have to evaluate the assumed values. For instance I assumed that the length x is 0.32m. But this length could be longer or shorter depending on:
1. friction
2. how fast/hard the marble is set in motion, 15cm from the edge.
Could this be a valid discussion Point?

VitaminK said:
Well I haven't measured anything directly, everything is assumed. So I have to evaluate the assumed values. For instance I assumed that the length x is 0.32m. But this length could be longer or shorter depending on:
1. friction

I suspect the whole aim of the experiment would be to verify that the equations of motion you have deduced are valid. To do this, you would take a set of measurements (what would you vary/what would you measure?), maybe think about plotting a graph of some sort...

Your model is valid only under certain assumptions. Like you mentioned a few posts back, the results you compute from this model will deviate from reality in that it doesn't take into account things like dissipative forces. What effect might these have on ##x##, or your graph? Also, for theoretical calculations it is assumed that the "measuring apparatus" is totally exact; this is evidently not true in practice. Have a look at the measurements you need to take, think about how you might take those measurements experimentally and perhaps try and determine some ballpark estimates of uncertainties in those measurements.

etotheipi said:
I suspect the whole aim of the experiment would be to verify that the equations of motion you have deduced are valid. To do this, you would take a set of measurements (what would you vary/what would you measure?), maybe think about plotting a graph of some sort...

Your model is valid only under certain assumptions. Like you mentioned a few posts back, the results you compute from this model will deviate from reality in that it doesn't take into account things like dissipative forces. What effect might these have on ##x##, or your graph? Also, for theoretical calculations it is assumed that the "measuring apparatus" is totally exact; this is evidently not true in practice. Have a look at the measurements you need to take, think about how you might take those measurements experimentally and perhaps try and determine some ballpark estimates of uncertainties in those measurements.
Thanks!

VitaminK said:
1. friction
Possibly the problem is that the experiment is not specific enough for you to analyze. So make it specific. That's a good way to get a discussion going.

That's from a little tidbit creative writing that I once stumbled across. A student is tasked with writing an essay about downtown <somewhere>. He is stuck. Cannot think of a thing to write about. So his teacher suggests that he write about the theater. Still stuck. So the teacher suggests that he write about one of the bricks in the theater. The student gets unstuck.

How does the experiment run? What mechanism fires the ball? If you do not know, make something up. It's your thought experiment. You get to make it work the way you want. What is the purpose of the 15 cm start ramp? Do we get a ball timing across that distance to assess starting horizontal velocity? Is it just there to assure a horizontal launch? When the ball lands, is there carbon paper so that it makes a mark on the ground? Do you use a tape measure to see how far it went?

Do you have make-believe video equipment? Did you make a make-believe paper backdrop with ruled lines to analyze the video? How stable is the frame rate? How far is the camera from the ball? How far is the ball from the lines on the paper?

Describe the experiment in detail. Then analyze the experiment in detail. There are lots of ways to go with this.

Likes etotheipi
If you neglect the friction, what can you say about Xm, Ym, and V0x?

jbriggs444 said:
Possibly the problem is that the experiment is not specific enough for you to analyze. So make it specific. That's a good way to get a discussion going.

That's from a little tidbit creative writing that I once stumbled across. A student is tasked with writing an essay about downtown <somewhere>. He is stuck. Cannot think of a thing to write about. So his teacher suggests that he write about the theater. Still stuck. So the teacher suggests that he write about one of the bricks in the theater. The student gets unstuck.

How does the experiment run? What mechanism fires the ball? If you do not know, make something up. It's your thought experiment. You get to make it work the way you want. What is the purpose of the 15 cm start ramp? Do we get a ball timing across that distance to assess starting horizontal velocity? Is it just there to assure a horizontal launch? When the ball lands, is there carbon paper so that it makes a mark on the ground? Do you use a tape measure to see how far it went?

Do you have make-believe video equipment? Did you make a make-believe paper backdrop with ruled lines to analyze the video? How stable is the frame rate? How far is the camera from the ball? How far is the ball from the lines on the paper?

Describe the experiment in detail. Then analyze the experiment in detail. There are lots of ways to go with this.

Thanks!

1. What is horizontal projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is projected horizontally, or parallel to the ground, with a constant velocity. This means that the object will travel in a straight line at a constant speed until it is affected by external forces such as gravity or air resistance.

2. What is the purpose of a horizontal projectile motion lab?

The purpose of a horizontal projectile motion lab is to experimentally determine the relationship between the initial velocity, angle of projection, and horizontal displacement of a projectile. This can help to better understand the principles of projectile motion and to verify mathematical equations and theories.

3. What equipment is needed for a horizontal projectile motion lab?

The equipment needed for a horizontal projectile motion lab typically includes a projectile launcher, a set of projectiles, a measuring tape or ruler, a protractor, and a stopwatch or timer. Additional equipment such as a motion sensor or data collection software may also be used for more advanced experiments.

4. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile in a horizontal projectile motion lab?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation v0 = x/t, where v0 is the initial velocity, x is the horizontal displacement, and t is the time. This can be measured by recording the time it takes for the projectile to travel a known distance, such as the length of the launcher.

5. What factors can affect the motion of a projectile in a horizontal projectile motion lab?

The motion of a projectile can be affected by various factors, including air resistance, the angle of projection, and the initial velocity. Other factors such as the mass and shape of the projectile, as well as external forces like wind or friction, can also impact the trajectory of the projectile. These factors should be controlled and accounted for in order to obtain accurate results in the lab.