How a current buffer transistor cancels the early effect (Cascode)

In summary: This transistor will act as an isolator and buffer for Q2, ensuring that Vce_Q2 remains constant. This will prevent any changes in Vce_Q2 from affecting the load current.
brainbaby
In the given circuit Q2 is a current buffer tranistor which maintains constant current voltage for Q1 just to cancel the harms of early effect...how does it do so??

Attachments

• improved current source.png
    improved current source.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 931
Engineering news on Phys.org
Simply Q2 keeps Vc_Q1 fairly constant at 1.75V. And since Vce_Q1 is not changing, no early effect (base width modulation) occurs.
Without Q2 load variations causes Vce_Q1 to change with load. For example for RL=1kΩ we have Vc = 9V and Vce = 8V; But for RL = 5kΩ we have Vc = 5V and Vce = 4V.
And this change in Vce will also change collector current due to transistor β changes (early effect).
So by adding Q1 we make Vce_Q1 fairly constant. And therefore Ic_Q1 ≈ I_load is also constant. Vce_Q2 will vary with the load but this variations will have almost no effect on load current. Because Q2 work here as a current buffer (common base), and this is why changes in Vce_Q2 due to load variations will have no effect on load current.
I_load = IcQ1* β_Q2/(β_Q2 + 1)
I_load = 1mA * 50/51 = 0.9803mA
I_koad = 1mA * 100/101 = 0.9900mA

Likes meBigGuy and brainbaby
Jony130 said:
Simply Q2 keeps Vc_Q1 fairly constant at 1.75V. And since Vce_Q1 is not changing, no early effect (base width modulation) occurs.
Without Q2 load variations causes Vce_Q1 to change with load. For example for RL=1kΩ we have Vc = 9V and Vce = 8V; But for RL = 5kΩ we have Vc = 5V and Vce = 4V.
And this change in Vce will also change collector current due to transistor β changes (early effect).
So by adding Q1 we make Vce_Q1 fairly constant. And therefore Ic_Q1 ≈ I_load is also constant. Vce_Q2 will vary with the load but this variations will have almost no effect on load current. Because Q2 work here as a current buffer (common base), and this is why changes in Vce_Q2 due to load variations will have no effect on load current.
I_load = IcQ1* β_Q2/(β_Q2 + 1)
I_load = 1mA * 50/51 = 0.9803mA
I_koad = 1mA * 100/101 = 0.9900mA
If i for any reason want to make Vce_2 constant then do i have to add another transistor which would isolate Q2 from load and acting as a buffer for Q2..?

Yes, you need to add another transistor on top off Q2.

1. What is a current buffer transistor?

A current buffer transistor is a type of transistor that is used to amplify and control the flow of current in an electronic circuit. It works by providing a high input impedance and low output impedance, allowing it to act as a buffer between two circuits.

2. What is the early effect and how does it affect transistors?

The early effect, also known as the base-width modulation effect, is a phenomenon that occurs in transistors where the width of the base region changes with changes in the collector voltage. This can cause variations in the current gain of the transistor, leading to inaccuracies in the output signal.

3. How does a current buffer transistor cancel the early effect?

A current buffer transistor can cancel the early effect by acting as a cascode, which means it is connected in series with another transistor. The output voltage of the first transistor will be the input voltage for the second transistor, effectively isolating the first transistor from the collector voltage changes and reducing the impact of the early effect.

4. What is the advantage of using a cascode configuration?

The cascode configuration, made possible by using a current buffer transistor, has several advantages. It provides a high input impedance, low output impedance, and increased stability and linearity. It also reduces the impact of the early effect on the performance of the transistor.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a current buffer transistor in a cascode configuration?

One potential drawback of using a current buffer transistor in a cascode configuration is that it can introduce additional noise into the circuit. This noise may need to be carefully managed and minimized through proper design and layout of the circuit.