How are Electric Field and Electric Force related in a Liquid Crystal Display?

In summary: Once you answer this question, use the same facts to arrive at the answer to the first part.Fleming's LHR is a relation between Current, Force and Magnetic Field. As gendou2 said, how is an Electric Field related to Electric Force [i.e. Coulombic Force]? Once you answer this question, use the same facts to arrive at the answer to the first part.
Air

Homework Statement

Liquid crystal (LC) displays are found in digital watches and calculators. The display is made from two parallel pieces of glass separated by 1.0 × 10–5m with liquid crystal molecules between them. The glass is coated with conducting material.

The LC molecules have a permanent dipole - that is, they are positive at one end of the molecule and negative at the other. The normal state of these molecules is to be aligned parallel with the glass surfaces as in diagram A. If a voltage of 1.5 V is applied as shown, the molecules align with the electric field.

Diagram.jpg

a) On diagram A, show the forces acting on the molecule as the switch S is closed.
b) On diagram B, draw field lines to represent the electric field in the central region of the plates.

2. The attempt at a solution
DiagramAnnotated.jpg

I drew the field line for part (b), is it correct? Also, I don't know how to draw the force for part (a), how would I show the force? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, the electric field lines are drawn correctly for the (b) part.

As for the first part, how is Electric Field defined in terms of Electric Force? Once you answer this question, use the same facts to arrive at the answer to the first part.

rohanprabhu said:
As for the first part, how is Electric Field defined in terms of Electric Force? Once you answer this question, use the same facts to arrive at the answer to the first part.

Fleming's LHR? Current, Field and Force perpendicular to each other. I tried this but I couldn't work it out, somehow I got the force to be out of the page. :confused:

I think the molecules have an electric dipole, not a magnetic dipole.
Fleming's LHR is used for charges moving in a magnetic field.
Use electrical attraction instead.

Air said:
Fleming's LHR? Current, Field and Force perpendicular to each other. I tried this but I couldn't work it out, somehow I got the force to be out of the page. :confused:

Fleming's LHR is a relation between Current, Force and Magnetic Field. As gendou2 said, how is an Electric Field related to Electric Force [i.e. Coulombic Force]?

What is a field?

A field is a physical quantity that exists at every point in space. It can be represented as a vector or scalar and is responsible for exerting a force on any object that interacts with it.

What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change direction. It is a vector quantity and is described by its magnitude, direction, and point of application.

What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electric charge through a material. It is measured in amperes (A) and is caused by the movement of electrons in a conductor.

How is an electric current created?

An electric current is created by a potential difference, or voltage, between two points in a circuit. This causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, creating a current.

What is the relationship between field, force, and current?

The force exerted by a field on a charged particle is directly proportional to the electric current passing through the particle. This relationship is described by the Lorentz force law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the current, the strength of the field, and the sine of the angle between the current and the field.