How big are the health effects of fluorocarbons?

In summary: Per the link, these compounds are very persistent and are commonly found in tiny amounts the blood plasma in the US.
Kontilera
Hello!

I love camping, all year around.
However lately I've been hearing much about the hazardous effects of flourocarbons and this got me wondering... Since I didn't know if my tent contained any so called PFC's I mailed the producer and got this answer:

"Our tents are not yet PFC-free. They are still equipped with C6 chemistry. However, there are no health concerns for the users of the tents. The impregnating agent is more critical during the production process, as there is the greatest risk of entering into the Waters."

Maybe this is true.. I don't know. So it would be interesting to hear your opinions on this subject.
Should I worry about the health effects from tenting? Or is this effect so small that it's probably healthier to be hiking in my tent since I get away from the polluted city air?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Kontilera said:
Or is this effect so small that it's probably healthier to be hiking in my tent since I get away from the polluted city air?

That would be my bet.

Likes ChemAir and HAYAO
Fluorocarbons typically have low affinities toward most compounds. There's an entire area of study called fluorochemistry, which should give you a hint that it is a very important class of study. They are used in chemical engineering as well as on many things, with the one you most likely see in your daily life like frying pans. Fluorocarbons are lipophobic and hydrophobic at the same time, which rejects water and fats and prevent them from sticking on your frying pan.

Fluorocarbons (fluoroalkanes) are not bioaccumulate. If you were to consume fluorocarbons, my best bet is that they will just come out as human wastes. You should check the SDS of each specific fluorocarbon you are looking at to make sure they are okay. Most commercial products are fluoroalkanes. Other type of fluorocarbons such as fluoroalkenes and fluoroalkynes are toxic.

In more simpler terms, you'll be fine.

Public health viewpoint on PFOA: https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/pubhealth/hat/noms/pfoa/index.html

Note: this link deals with 2 fluorocarbons, not all of them. Per the link, these compounds are very persistent and are commonly found in tiny amounts the blood plasma in the US. PFOA is banned for industrial use in the US.

Thank you so much!

1. How do fluorocarbons affect human health?

Fluorocarbons can affect human health in several ways. Inhalation of high levels of fluorocarbons can cause irritation of the respiratory system, dizziness, and headache. Long-term exposure to low levels of fluorocarbons has been linked to liver and kidney damage, as well as potential effects on the reproductive and immune systems.

2. Are there any long-term health effects of fluorocarbons?

There is limited research on the long-term health effects of fluorocarbons, but some studies have suggested potential links to certain types of cancer, such as kidney and liver cancer. However, more research is needed to fully understand the long-term health effects of fluorocarbons.

3. Are there any populations that are more susceptible to the health effects of fluorocarbons?

Individuals with pre-existing respiratory or cardiovascular conditions, as well as young children and the elderly, may be more susceptible to the health effects of fluorocarbons. Additionally, individuals who are exposed to high levels of fluorocarbons in their occupation, such as those working in manufacturing or in the production of refrigerants, may also be at a higher risk.

4. Can fluorocarbons cause any immediate health effects?

Yes, exposure to high levels of fluorocarbons can cause immediate health effects such as dizziness, headache, and nausea. In rare cases, exposure to very high levels of fluorocarbons can lead to loss of consciousness and even death.

5. How can we protect ourselves from the potential health effects of fluorocarbons?

The best way to protect ourselves from the potential health effects of fluorocarbons is to limit our exposure to them. This can be done by avoiding products that contain fluorocarbons, using protective equipment in occupations where exposure is likely, and properly disposing of products that contain fluorocarbons. It is also important to follow any safety guidelines and regulations set by government agencies when using or handling fluorocarbon-containing products.