How Can Cylindrical Coordinates Simplify Complex Number Integration?

In summary, the conversation discussed evaluating a complex integral using integration by parts. The solution involved using cylindrical coordinates to simplify the integration process.
tanaygupta2000
Homework Statement
Show that (1/π) ∫∫d(Re{a})d(Im{a}) |a><a| = I

where |a> is a coherent state = exp(-a*a/2) (a^n)/√n! |n>
and I is identity operator
Relevant Equations
|a> = exp(-a*a/2) Σ(a^n)/√n! |n>
<a| = exp(-a*a/2) Σ(a*^n)/√n! <n|
|n><n| = I
Capture.PNG

I began this solution by assuming a = x+iy since a is a complex number.
So I wrote expressions of <a| and |a> in which |n><n| = I.
I got the following integral:

Σ 1/πn! ∫∫ dx dy exp[-(x^2 + y^2)] (x^2 + y^2)^n I

I tried solving it using Integration by Parts but got stuck in the (x^2 + y^2)^n part.
Please help how can I evaluate this integral in an easier way.
Thank You !

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you regard x and y are coordinates of xy plane and achieve integration by cylindrical coordinates i.e.
[tex]\int dx \int dy = \int_0^{2\pi} d \phi \int_0^\infty r dr[/tex]

• Informative
Likes tanaygupta2000
anuttarasammyak said:
Why don't you regard x and y are coordinates of xy plane and achieve integration by cylindrical coordinates i.e.
[tex]\int dx \int dy = \int_0^{2\pi} d \phi \int_0^\infty r dr[/tex]
Yess! It very well worked! Lots of Thanks.

Related to How Can Cylindrical Coordinates Simplify Complex Number Integration?

1. What is the concept of coherent states?

The concept of coherent states is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, which refers to a special type of quantum state that exhibits classical-like properties. These states are characterized by having a well-defined phase and a minimum uncertainty in position and momentum, making them useful for studying the dynamics of quantum systems.

2. How are coherent states integrated into quantum mechanics?

Coherent states are integrated into quantum mechanics through the use of the coherent state representation, which involves expressing quantum states and operators in terms of coherent states. This allows for a more intuitive understanding of quantum systems and simplifies calculations in many cases.

3. What are the advantages of using coherent states in quantum mechanics?

One of the main advantages of using coherent states in quantum mechanics is their classical-like behavior, which makes them easier to understand and manipulate. They also have a number of useful mathematical properties, such as being eigenstates of the annihilation operator, which can simplify calculations in certain situations.

4. How are coherent states experimentally realized?

Coherent states can be experimentally realized in a variety of physical systems, such as light fields, trapped ions, and superconducting circuits. These systems can be prepared in a state that closely resembles a coherent state, allowing for the study of their quantum properties in a controlled manner.

5. What are the applications of coherent states in quantum technologies?

Coherent states have a wide range of applications in quantum technologies, such as quantum communication, quantum computing, and quantum metrology. They can be used to encode and transmit information in a secure manner, perform quantum computations, and achieve high-precision measurements, respectively.