Coherent States of Harmonic Oscillator

So you get something likee^{-z^2} \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{z^{2m}}{m! (m!)^{\frac{1}{2}}} mand you need to figure out how to simplify that sum.
decerto

Homework Statement

Given the coherent state of the harmonic oscillator [tex]|z>=e^{-\frac{|z|^2}{2}}\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{z^{n}}{\sqrt{n!}}|n>[/tex]
compute the probability for finding n quanta in the sate [itex]|z>[/itex] and the average excitation number [itex]<z|n|z>[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]|z>=e^{-\frac{|z|^2}{2}}\sum_0^\infty\frac{z^{n}}{\sqrt{n!}}|n>[/itex]

Probability=[itex]|<n|z>|^2[/itex]

Average excitation number = [itex]<z|n|z>[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I did [itex]|<n|z>|^2=|e^{-\frac{|z|^2}{2}}\sum_{m=0}^\infty\frac{z^{m}}{\sqrt{m!}}<n|m>|^2[/itex]
[itex]=|e^{-\frac{|z|^2}{2}}\sum_{m=0}^\infty\frac{z^{m}}{\sqrt{m!}}\delta_{nm}|^2[/itex]
[itex]=|e^{-\frac{|z|^2}{2}}\frac{z^{n}}{\sqrt{n!}}|^2[/itex]
[itex]=|e^{-|z|^2}\frac{z^{2n}}{n!}|[/itex]
[itex]=e^{-|z|^2}\frac{|z|^{2n}}{n!}[/itex]

Which is correct but was I right in using m to specify a different energy eigenstate to n to obtain the kroncker delta?

For the second part I am not sure how to even write out the problem. Should the eigenstates in [itex]|z>[/itex] and [itex]<z|[/itex] be [itex]|n>[/itex] or something different

What I think is that it should be is

[itex]<z|n|z>=e^{-\frac{|z|^2}{2}}\sum_{m=0}^\infty\frac{z^{\dagger m}}{\sqrt{m!}}e^{-\frac{|z|^2}{2}}\sum_{m'=0}^\infty\frac{z^{m'}}{\sqrt{m'!}}<m|n|m'>[/itex]

But I am not sure what <m|n|m'> is equal to, [itex]\delta_{nm}\delta_{nm'}[/itex] maybe?

Im getting [itex]e^0[/itex] which isn't the right answer as per page 2 of this http://www.phas.ubc.ca/~joanna/phys501/coherent-states.pdf

Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first part is correct.
About your question regarding the second part, Pay attention that [itex] n=a^\dagger a [/itex] and [itex] a^\dagger |n>=\sqrt{n+1} |n+1 > [/itex] and [itex] a |n>=\sqrt{n}|n-1> [/itex].

Likes decerto
decerto said:
For the second part I am not sure how to even write out the problem. Should the eigenstates in [itex]|z>[/itex] and [itex]<z|[/itex] be [itex]|n>[/itex] or something different

What I think is that it should be is

[itex]<z|n|z>=e^{-\frac{|z|^2}{2}}\sum_{m=0}^\infty\frac{z^{\dagger m}}{\sqrt{m!}}e^{-\frac{|z|^2}{2}}\sum_{m'=0}^\infty\frac{z^{m'}}{\sqrt{m'!}}<m|n|m'>[/itex]

But I am not sure what <m|n|m'> is equal to, [itex]\delta_{nm}\delta_{nm'}[/itex] maybe?

Im getting [itex]e^0[/itex] which isn't the right answer as per page 2 of this http://www.phas.ubc.ca/~joanna/phys501/coherent-states.pdf

Any help would be great.

You pretty much have it, except that by definition [itex]n |m'\rangle = m' |m' \rangle[/itex]. So [itex]\langle m |n| m' \rangle = m' \langle m | m' \rangle[/itex].

stevendaryl said:
You pretty much have it, except that by definition [itex]n |m'\rangle = m' |m' \rangle[/itex]. So [itex]\langle m |n| m' \rangle = m' \langle m | m' \rangle[/itex].

This gives me m' as the answer but the answer is [itex]|z|^2[/itex]?

Nvm got it using the ladder operators

decerto said:
This gives me m' as the answer but the answer is [itex]|z|^2[/itex]?

No, it doesn't give [itex]m'[/itex] as the answer, because [itex]m'[/itex] is summed over. Since [itex]\langle m | n |m' \rangle = m' \delta_{m, m'}[/itex], you have something like:

[itex]e^{-z^2} \sum_{m=0}^\infty \sum_{m'=0}^\infty \frac{z^m z^{m'}}{\sqrt{m! m'!}} m' \delta_{m,m'}[/itex]

Because of the [itex]\delta_{m, m'}[/itex] the second sum simplifies to just one term, the one where [itex]m'=m[/itex].

Related to Coherent States of Harmonic Oscillator

1. What are coherent states of harmonic oscillator?

Coherent states of harmonic oscillator are a type of quantum state in which the position and momentum of a harmonic oscillator are highly localized. They exhibit classical-like behavior and have a well-defined phase and amplitude.

2. How are coherent states different from other quantum states?

Coherent states are unique in that they are eigenstates of the annihilation operator, which represents the lowering of energy in the oscillator system. Unlike other quantum states, they have a well-defined phase and amplitude, making them more similar to classical states.

3. What is the significance of coherent states in quantum mechanics?

Coherent states are important in quantum mechanics because they provide a bridge between classical and quantum mechanics. They exhibit classical-like behavior, making them easier to understand and apply in certain situations.

4. How are coherent states used in applications?

Coherent states have many applications in various fields of physics, such as quantum optics, quantum information, and quantum computing. They are also used in the study of Bose-Einstein condensates and superconducting circuits.

5. Can coherent states be created in the laboratory?

Yes, coherent states can be created in the laboratory using various methods, such as laser cooling and optical pumping. These techniques involve manipulating the quantum state of atoms or photons to create a coherent state of the harmonic oscillator system.