How can divF=0, but the volume integral of divF=/=0

In summary, the homework statement is that the divergence theorem only holds when you have a continuously differentiable vector field defined on a neighborhood of the origin.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Basically, this is part C of a question where in part A we had to use the RHS of the divergence theorem below to calculate the LHS, and then in part B we had to calculate the divergene of F, which came to be 0. and part C asks us how can this be? Since in part A we used the LHS and shown that it does not equal 0.

For reference, although I doubt it matters, this was for a sphere centered at the origin, and [itex]\vec{F}=\nabla \frac{1}{r}[/itex]

I had no issues calculating divF or the RHS but just cannot get my head around how divF equals 0, yet the volume integral of divF does not.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\int \int \int_V \nabla \cdot \vec{F} dV =\int \int_S \vec{F} \cdot d \vec{S}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no issues calculating divF or the RHS but just cannot get my head around how divF equals 0, yet the volume integral of divF does not.

Is it simply because [itex]\vec{F}=\nabla \frac{1}{r}[/itex] and so is not defined at (0,0,0) ? I have tried searching google and cannot find much. I am not sure if this post is in the right place, it does refer to a coursework question, but there's no math involved in this question.

Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it would be more informative if you posted all parts of this problem you are working on. Right now, you have access to more information than we do.

Yes, that's pretty much it. The theorem only holds when you have a continuously differentiable vector field ##\vec{F}## defined on a neighborhood of ##V##. The vector field here isn't defined at ##\vec{r} = 0##, so it doesn't meet the requirements of the theorem.

vela said:
Yes, that's pretty much it. The theorem only holds when you have a continuously differentiable vector field ##\vec{F}## defined on a neighborhood of ##V##. The vector field here isn't defined at ##\vec{r} = 0##, so it doesn't meet the requirements of the theorem.
Right, I thought that was it. But because the RHS (in this case) equals [itex]4 \pi R^4 [/itex] is it mathmatically correct to say that [itex] \int \int \int_v \nabla \cdot \vec{F} dV = 4 \pi R^4[/itex] also? As that is what the question is essentially asking, that how can it be that the volume integral equals [itex]4 \pi R^4[/itex] when [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec{F} = 0 [/itex]

Thanks!

Have you learned about the Dirac delta function?

vela said:

No not yet, I think he is covering something what he called "The Delta Function" on Tuesday. Maybe I should wait until then and then maybe I will get it?

Just a hint: Think about the Coulomb field of a point charge sitting in the origin of your coordinate system!

vela said:

We ended up covering the delta function yesterday and it was explained to us. I calculated the RHS wrong anyway as I had a silly exponent mistake with the R's, they canceled out and the answer was [itex]-4 \pi [/itex] . I had actually met the delta function last year, but it was only very briefly and only covered it in one dimension.

1. How is it possible for divF to be zero but the volume integral of divF to be non-zero?

This situation can occur when the vector field F has both positive and negative values in different regions of the volume. When the positive and negative values cancel each other out, the overall divergence of the field is zero. However, the individual volume elements may have non-zero divergence, resulting in a non-zero volume integral.

2. Can the volume integral of divF be zero if divF=0?

Yes, it is possible for the volume integral of divF to be zero even when the divergence of F is zero. This can occur when the vector field F is constant throughout the volume, resulting in a zero volume integral of divF.

3. How does the shape of the volume affect the relationship between divF and the volume integral of divF?

The shape of the volume can affect the relationship between divF and the volume integral of divF. For example, if the volume is a closed surface, the divergence theorem tells us that the volume integral of divF is equal to the flux of F through the surface. In this case, the volume integral of divF will be zero if the flux of F is zero, even if the divergence of F is non-zero.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the relationship between divF and the volume integral of divF?

Yes, in addition to the shape of the volume, there are other factors that can affect this relationship. For example, the boundary conditions of the vector field F and the type of field (e.g. conservative or non-conservative) can also play a role in determining the relationship between divF and the volume integral of divF.

5. How can this seemingly contradictory relationship between divF and the volume integral of divF be useful in scientific research?

This relationship can be useful in various scientific fields, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It allows us to analyze the behavior of a vector field within a given volume by considering the divergence of the field and the flux through the boundary of the volume. It also helps us to understand the flow of fluids and the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in different regions of space.