Volume integral over a gradient (quantum mechanics)

In summary: (3) is solved by writing ##\bf q\cdot x=|{\bf q}||{\bf x}|\cos(\theta)## and using some trigonometric identities.
astrocytosis

Homework Statement

1) Calculate the density of states for a free particle in a three dimensional box of linear size L.

2) Show that ##\int f \nabla g \, d^3 x=-\int g \nabla f \, d^3 x## provided that ##lim_{r \rightarrow \inf} [f(x)g(x)]=0##

3) Calculate the integral ##\int xe^{-i\mathbf{q \cdot x}} e^{-Zr/a_0} \, d^3 x##

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
(1) seems straightforward; I followed the method in Sakurai and got $$\frac{m^{3/2}L^3 \sqrt{E}}{\pi^2 \hbar^2 \sqrt{2}}. $$ (2) and (3) though I'm confused about the context. am I supposed to be thinking of some specific functions when it comes to f and g? the limit is in r but the functions are of x? am I missing some identities that would help me solve it?

(3) doesn't look difficult but the professor said the calculation would be quite involved, so I'm clearly not thinking about it correctly, and I'm not seeing how the result (2) would help...

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I think all I need for (2) is the product rule since f*g is going to zero, but I'm still not sure how this relates to (3)

Hi astrocytosis,

I didn't check (1) so I can't really comment on that.

(2) To see this consider the follwoing. Let ##\bf v## be a vector field and ##u## a scalar field. Now one can prove that the following identity holds
$$
\mathop{\rm div}({\bf v}u)=
(\mathop{\rm div}{\bf v})\,u+
{\bf v}\cdot\mathop{\rm grad}u.
$$
Now let ##G## be a finite domain. We than have
$$
\int_{\partial G}{\bf v}\,u\;{\rm d}\boldsymbol\sigma
=\int_G\mathop{\rm div}({\bf v}u)\;{\rm d}^3y
=\int_G(\mathop{\rm div}{\bf v})\,u\;{\rm d}^3y+
\int_G{\bf v}\cdot\mathop{\rm grad}u\;{\rm d}^3y
$$
Now if we let ##G\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^3## and the limit you were given holds the integral over ##\partial G## vanishes and you get the desired identity.

1. What is a volume integral over a gradient in quantum mechanics?

A volume integral over a gradient in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operation that involves calculating the change in a quantity over a given volume. It is often used to describe the change in a physical property, such as energy or momentum, in a quantum system.

2. How is a volume integral over a gradient different from a regular integral?

A volume integral over a gradient is different from a regular integral in that it takes into account the spatial variation of a quantity over a given volume. This means that it considers not only the value of the quantity, but also how it changes in different directions within the volume.

3. What is the physical significance of a volume integral over a gradient?

The physical significance of a volume integral over a gradient is that it allows us to better understand the behavior of a quantum system by quantifying the changes in physical properties within a given volume. It can provide insights into the dynamics and interactions of particles within the system.

4. How is a volume integral over a gradient used in quantum mechanics?

A volume integral over a gradient is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the change in physical properties, such as energy or momentum, within a given volume. It is an important tool for analyzing and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a volume integral over a gradient in quantum mechanics?

Like any mathematical tool, there are limitations to using a volume integral over a gradient in quantum mechanics. It may not accurately capture the behavior of highly complex quantum systems, and it is important to use caution when interpreting the results of such calculations.