How Can I Amplify PLC's Output Current for Proportional Valve Functionality?

In summary, the PLC output needs to have a voltage of between 4mA - 800mA to work with the proportional valve. Without that voltage, the valve will not function. The PLC available to the user does not have that voltage range.
ivxenz
Hi Guys,

I am in bit of a spot here. I do programming for hydraulic presses. If anyone is unfamiliar this entails programming PLCs to automate a press or a machine.

The problem I face is that the output current from the PLC is between 4mA - 20mA. I have a proportional valve that needs a signal between 4mA - 800mA. Basically it is off at 4mA and 100% open at 800mA.

I can't find a circuit that might be able to amplify the output I am getting from the PLC so that I can get the proper functionality from the proportional valve.

Anything that can linearly change the output current from the PLC and obviously max out at 800mA when the output from the PLC is 20mA.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It should be pretty easy but a few more details are needed.

1. What voltage does the valve need at 800mA?

2. Is the valve control differential or does one of the terminals have to be grounded?

3. Do you also have a spare analog voltage output on the PLC, 0...10V for example.

4. What DC power supply is available (is the PLC using). Eg, do you have 12V or 24V available?

Can you do Pulse Width Modulation with the PLC at a high enough frequency? Then you can just use a simple common collector transistor to drive the valve.

It is pretty unusual for a control valve to not accept a 4-20 signal. Are you sure that's not the power requirement (as opposed to the signal type) you're reading?

oops...two mis-apprehensions in my previous reply...

First, it's a common-emitter transistor you'd use to do PWM -- I got the names mixed up when I was about 12yrs and am still trying to correct myself.

Second, if it's just a DC current amp you are interested in the --err, correct taxonomy this time I hope-- common collector transistor circuit could do you. Basically an NPN power transistor with the collector at the plus supply rail and the load between the emitter and ground. It will need to be well heat-sinked as it directly dissipates the excess power.

i heard about ac to dc converter
what is current to current converter?
http://provillusinfo.org"

Last edited by a moderator:
uart said:
It should be pretty easy but a few more details are needed.

1. What voltage does the valve need at 800mA?

2. Is the valve control differential or does one of the terminals have to be grounded?

3. Do you also have a spare analog voltage output on the PLC, 0...10V for example.

4. What DC power supply is available (is the PLC using). Eg, do you have 12V or 24V available?

1. 24V DC
2. The only thing we give the valve is a power supply. Nothing else
3. yes
4. Seperate power supply 24V DC

Well it sounds like that 800ma isn't a control signal, but just the amperage required to actuate the valve. So you don't need to do anything special here: the PLC should have a 24v digital (on/off) output that you can use directly and that amperage shouldn't be out of its range. It appears the valve does not accept an analog input.

Here's an example of a device that works the same way: http://www.smarthome.com/307107/6-Inch-Diameter-Normally-Open-Electronic-HVAC-Air-Duct-Damper-with-Power-Supply-ZO106/p.aspx

If the valve is drive open, spring return, the only thing you can do is a regular digital signal, but if it is drive open, drive closed, you can use timed-pulses (not pulse width modulation) to drive it to a particular position. That requires periodic calibration, though, if you want to have a good idea of the actual position. If you only care about controllability and not actual position, you don't have to worry about calibration.

Getting the model number/spec sheet of the actuator and the specifics of the application would help...

Last edited:

What is a current to current converter?

A current to current converter is an electronic circuit that is used to convert a current from one value to another. It is commonly used in electronic devices to regulate the amount of current flowing through a circuit.

How does a current to current converter work?

A current to current converter works by using transistors to control the flow of current through the circuit. It uses a feedback loop to adjust the output current to match the desired input current. This allows for precise control and regulation of the current.

What are the applications of a current to current converter?

A current to current converter has a wide range of applications, including power supplies, motor control, and audio amplifiers. It is also commonly used in electronic devices such as smartphones, laptops, and LED lights to regulate the current and prevent damage to the device.

What are the advantages of using a current to current converter?

The use of a current to current converter offers several advantages, such as high efficiency, precise control of current, and protection against overloading. It also allows for the conversion of different types of current, such as AC to DC, or vice versa. Additionally, it can operate over a wide range of input and output currents.

What are the limitations of a current to current converter?

One limitation of a current to current converter is its complexity, which can make it more expensive to manufacture. It also requires careful design and calibration to ensure proper operation. Additionally, it may introduce some noise into the circuit, which can affect the performance of sensitive electronic components.