How Can I Calculate Crystallite Size from XRD Patterns?

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating particle size and the use of different techniques such as XRD, TEM, and SEM. The Scherrer equation was mentioned as a common technique, but it was recommended to refer to a book for more information. The limitations of SEM in determining particle size at the atomic scale were also discussed. One participant was new to the forum and interested in learning about obtaining information from PXRD for their research on Zeolites.
Rasputin
Hello everybody!

I have a question: how can I calculate the particle size?

It is common technique which called Scherrer equation used by XRD, it is also used TEM and SEM images, but I want be sure with my calculations and not to trust only to mentioned techniques.

Thank you for your answers.

Rasputin.

Physics news on Phys.org
particle size

Dear Rasputin,

From XRD u will get crystallite size , and from SEM particle size. Bothe are two different entities.

About sherrer formula, it is basic and fundamental. U can refer
AZAROFF & BUERGER, The Powder Method in X-ray Crystallography.

If this won't solve ur problem we will discuss.

mahixs said:
Dear Rasputin,

From XRD u will get crystallite size , and from SEM particle size. Bothe are two different entities.
Last time i checked the SEM resolution does not allow you to scale down up to the atomic scale. To do that, you need TEM. Also, keep in mind that individual atoms are not depicted directly. this violates the HUP ! What we observe using the above mentioned techniques, is the consequence (ie emitted radiation etc) of the interactions between apparatus and specimen ! One does not just "take a picture of an atom". We only observe atomic scale phenomena indirectly !

marlon

Hi buddies I am new to this forum
I came to the forum serching for crystallite size determination form XRD Patterns
I am new to reserch and do not posses any special knowledge on PXRD right now i am working on Zeolites and the only tool is PXRD i am eager to learn about it and want every information which can be obtained form it ie crystallite size, stacking faults, etc.

1. What is particle size calculation?

Particle size calculation is a method used in scientific research and analysis to determine the size of particles in a sample, which can range from nanometers to millimeters. It is an important aspect of studying the properties and behavior of particles in various materials.

2. How is particle size calculated?

Particle size can be calculated using various techniques such as microscopy, laser diffraction, and sedimentation. Each technique involves different principles and instruments, but all aim to measure the size of particles in a sample accurately.

3. Why is particle size calculation important?

Particle size calculation is crucial in many fields, including pharmaceuticals, materials science, and environmental science. It provides valuable information about the physical and chemical properties of particles, which can affect product performance, stability, and safety.

4. What factors can affect particle size calculation?

Several factors can impact particle size calculation, including the sample preparation method, instrument calibration, and the type of particles being measured. It is essential to carefully control these factors to ensure accurate and reliable results.

5. How can particle size calculation benefit industries?

Particle size calculation can provide valuable insights for industries such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and food and beverage. It can help optimize product formulations, improve product quality, and ensure regulatory compliance, ultimately leading to cost savings and increased efficiency.