How can I calculate the energy gap?

In summary, the process of finding the energy gap at a point k in the reciprocal space of a lattice with a periodic potential involves using Schrödinger's equation in k-space to obtain a two-equation system. The determinant of this system must be set to zero to find the energy gap, which is the difference between the two solutions. However, the choice of which two Fourier coefficients to use in the system may vary, with some books choosing k and k-G and others choosing different coefficients. This can lead to confusion and further assistance may be needed.
carllacan
Hi.

I am sometimes asked to find the energy gap at a point k in the reciprocal space of a lattice with a periodic potential. From what I've read I understand that I have to

1) use Schrödinger's equation in k-space, from which I
2) get a system of infinitely many equations, and then
3) disregard all but two of the Fourier coefficients of the electron wave.
4) I thus get a two-equations system, which if it is to have solutions has to have a null determinant, so
5) setting its determinant to zero I get an equation with two solutions, and
6) the difference between this two solutions is the magnitude of the energy gap.

(if this procedure is not familiar to you please tell me and I'll try to post a link to what I mean)

I get the physics and math behind all of this, but I don't know which two coefficients should I choose in step 3! Some books choose k (the wavevector of the electron wave) and k-G, where G is a reciprocal lattice vector, but I'm pretty sure its not any reciprocal lattice vector, is it?

I feel utterly lost on this. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it not the first two? The ground state and the first excited state?

1. What is the energy gap?

The energy gap, also known as the band gap, is the difference in energy between the highest occupied energy level (valence band) and the lowest unoccupied energy level (conduction band) in a material.

2. How is the energy gap measured?

The energy gap is typically measured using spectroscopic techniques such as UV-Vis absorption spectroscopy or photoemission spectroscopy. These methods involve shining light of varying wavelengths onto a material and measuring the amount of light absorbed or emitted, which can then be used to calculate the energy gap.

3. What factors affect the energy gap?

The energy gap of a material is determined by its chemical composition and structure. Factors such as the type and arrangement of atoms, the presence of impurities or defects, and external influences like temperature and pressure can all impact the energy gap.

4. How can I calculate the energy gap from experimental data?

The energy gap can be calculated using the equation E = hc/λ, where E is the energy of the photon, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of the light used in the experiment. By plotting the absorption or emission spectra and finding the wavelength at which the absorption or emission is highest, the energy gap can be determined.

5. Why is the energy gap important?

The energy gap is an important characteristic of materials as it determines their electrical and optical properties. Materials with a smaller energy gap are better conductors of electricity and have a higher absorption of light, while materials with a larger energy gap are insulators and have a lower absorption of light. The energy gap also plays a crucial role in the design and development of electronic and optoelectronic devices.