How can I connect sensors in a household without a laptop or large controller?

• Thread starter Marc Henry Saad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensors
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of sensors and actuators in a course called Instrumentation and Measurements, and the question of how to connect these devices in a household without the need for a laptop and a large controller. The suggestion is made to look into the use of platforms such as Arduino and Raspberry Pi, as well as a LabVIEW interface for Arduino.
Marc Henry Saad
Hello everyone,

I am a 4th year Mechanical Engineering student and recently completed a course called Instrumentation and Measurements. We used different sensors and actuators that we connected to a : myRio controller, breadboard, computer software (LabView). My question is, how can I connect sensors in a household for example. I usually make all the connections then run the program. But of course in a house I'm not going to keep wires all over the place connected to a myRio controller and a laptop always connected to run the program. How can I store the code and keep it continuously running without the need of a laptop and a relatively large controller (myRio is about 8 x 8 x 3 cm)

Please if anyone may help me with this.
thank you !

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should look into Arundino and Raspberry Pi platforms and the many sensors and actuators available to them.

By the way, Ardruino is called Genuino outside the USA.
https://www.arduino.cc/

There's also a LabVIEW interface for Arduino if you wish to keep using LabVIEW.
http://www.ni.com/gate/gb/GB_EVALTLKTLVARDIO/US

1. What is the difference between a sensor and a microcontroller?

A sensor is a device that detects and measures physical inputs such as light, temperature, or pressure. A microcontroller is a small computer chip that can process and store data, and also control other devices. In simple terms, a sensor senses the environment, while a microcontroller interprets and responds to the data from the sensor.

2. How do sensors and microcontrollers work together?

Sensors and microcontrollers work together in a closed-loop system. The sensor detects a physical input and converts it into an electrical signal, which is then sent to the microcontroller. The microcontroller processes the data and sends commands to other devices, such as motors or lights, to respond to the input from the sensor.

3. What are the main types of sensors used with microcontrollers?

The main types of sensors used with microcontrollers are analog, digital, and hybrid sensors. Analog sensors measure continuous changes in physical inputs, such as temperature or light intensity. Digital sensors provide a binary output, indicating the presence or absence of a certain condition. Hybrid sensors combine both analog and digital elements to measure a wide range of inputs.

4. How are sensors and microcontrollers used in everyday life?

Sensors and microcontrollers are used in various applications in our daily lives. For example, they are used in smartphones to detect touch inputs and control screen brightness. They are also used in home security systems to detect motion and activate alarms. In automobiles, sensors and microcontrollers are used to monitor engine performance and adjust various systems for optimal efficiency.

5. How do I choose the right sensor and microcontroller for my project?

Choosing the right sensor and microcontroller for a project depends on the specific requirements and goals of the project. Factors to consider include the type of input being measured, the accuracy and resolution needed, and the required processing power. It is also important to ensure compatibility between the sensor and microcontroller, as well as the programming language and development tools needed for the project.