How can I correctly solve the integral of e^x lnx dx?

• Thread starter Dronit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx E^x
In summary, the discussion was about the integral ∫e^x lnx dx, which the student did not know how to solve. They attempted to solve it using integration by parts and their professor said it was wrong, but did not specify how to solve it. The student's classmates and textbook offer no help. In the end, the student was given the correct answer and told to find it in a different way.
Dronit

Homework Statement

∫e^x lnx dx
I don't really know how to solve it.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what i have:
∫e^x lnxdx = lnx e^x - ∫e^x/x dx

And my prof says its wrong, that i can go further with it with some method they discussed about ( i missed it :(

Physics news on Phys.org
But you are right.
What you did is not wrong, but it might not be the answer to the exact question that was asked.
And ∫e^x/x dx is related to the function called Ei for "exponential integral". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_integral.

There is maybe a misunderstanding.
Could you explain the statement of the problem more completely?
Is it only about calculating this integral?
Or is it about using some method to develop this integral in some way (like a series)?
Was the problem written black on white on paper?

I was just given this integral, nothing else.
Maybe they calculeted this in another way, or used something that I am not aware in the class, but i was only given this one example.
Prof says that what I've got is okay, but its not about what they did in the class, what possibly could it be?

So you missed some classes! Bad boy!
Your Prof tries to punish you, isn't it?
Ask your classmates, or the Prof himself.
Or eventually, give us a reference to the textbook that your Prof uses.
There are many different ways to evaluate this integral, guessing without information is total loss of time.
You have the right to know what the question exactly is.
Don't accept such a stupid game.

He uses Mathematical Techniques by Jordan & Smith ( Oxford)
He don't want to tell me exactly what method i should use, my classmates don't remember.
SO

I haven't the foggiest idea what your professor is saying is wrong, but ##\int e^x \ln x\, dx## is indeed ##e^x \ln x - \int \frac{e^x}{x} dx##. That integral on the right hand side? That's essentially the exponential integral (plus an arbitrary constant).So another way of expressing this is that ##\int e^x \ln x\, dx = e^x \ln x - \operatorname{Ei}(x) + \text{constant}##.

The reason why "Ei(x)" is given a special name like that is that [itex]\int\frac{e^x}{x}dx[/itex] is not any "elementary" function.

He said i need to get at least two of that integrals that I've got. So maybe he mean that i need to do it again by parts, right ?

Dronit said:
He said i need to get at least two of that integrals that I've got. So maybe he mean that i need to do it again by parts, right ?

If the question was to derive a correct expression for the indefinite integral, the answers you have been given are 100% correct. There is no way we can help you if your prof. will not accept correct answers unless they have some as-yet-unspecified form.

Related to How can I correctly solve the integral of e^x lnx dx?

1. What is the first step in solving e^x lnx dx?

The first step is to rewrite the problem using logarithmic rules. This will result in the integral becoming ln(e^x)dx, which can be simplified to xdx.

2. How do I solve for x in e^x lnx dx?

To solve for x, you will need to integrate the resulting xdx by using the power rule. This will result in the solution x^2/2 + C.

3. Can I use substitution to solve e^x lnx dx?

Yes, substitution can be used to solve this integral. You can let u = ln(x) and du = 1/x dx. This will result in the integral becoming e^u du, which can be solved using integration by parts.

4. Is there a shortcut to solving e^x lnx dx?

There is no direct shortcut to solving this integral. However, you can use logarithmic properties and integration techniques to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

5. Are there any special cases when solving e^x lnx dx?

Yes, if the limits of integration are from 0 to 1, the integral will result in -1. This is because ln(0) is undefined, and ln(1) is 0, which cancels out the e^x term.