How can I derive a formula for change in B field strength?

In summary, the equation for the rate of change of the strength of the magnetic field at the center of the loop is: $\frac{d}{dt}|B|=\frac{μ_{0}I}{2πV}$.
RobertColman
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
I'm a bit stuck on this question (which is homework so hints are more welcome than outright answers). The question is:

A very long wire carrying a current I is moving with speed v towards a small circular wire loop of radius r. The long wire is in the plane of the loop and is too long to be entirely shown in the diagram.

lQAjR.png

The strength of a magnetic field a distance x from a long wire is
$$|B|=\frac{μ_{0}I}{2πr}$$
What is the equation for the rate of change of the strength of the magnetic field at the centre of the loop?

As a hint we are given that $$V = \frac{dx}{dt}$$

Now, I can see that the equation for the strength of the field comes from amperes law, and is essentially the magnetic field along a loop around the wire, divided by the circumference of that loop.

So it makes sense to me that given everything else in the equation is constant, delta B should come straight from the change in the circumference of a circle as the radius shrinks. Now since

$$\frac{dC}{dt}=2\pi\frac{dr}{dt}$$

and since in this case $\displaystyle{\frac{dr}{dt}}$ is simply the velocity of the wire, it seems to me that the change in the field strength at the center of the loop should simply be

$$\frac{d|B|}{dt}=\frac{μ_{0}I}{2πV}$$

however I'm getting that this answer is wrong. Can anyone explain where I've made a mistake?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
RobertColman said:
however I'm getting that this answer is wrong.
Just from the dimensional analysis, one can tell that it is incorrect.
The rate of change of the strength of the B field at a fixed point is
$$
\frac{d}{dt}|B|
$$
Now, plug in the equation for ##|B|## into the time derivative.

Likes Anuran Pal
So, would you expect to get $$\frac{μ_{0}Ir^{2}-2\pi V}{2\pi r^{2}}$$ ?

RobertColman said:
So, would you expect to get $$\frac{μ_{0}Ir^{2}-2\pi V}{2\pi r^{2}}$$ ?
Is that what you get after differentiating ##|B|## with respect to ##t##?

That's what 'I' got, whether or not it is correct is what I was asking? should it be a plus instead of a minus?

as in, I used implicit differentiation to turn 1/r into -1/r^2 * dr/dt. since in this case dr/dt = -V that gives V/r^2 etc etc

ok i think i got it, i forgot that the constants I pulled out the front are being multiplied back in, so it should be $$\frac{μ_{0}IV}{2\pi r^{2}}$$?

RobertColman said:
ok i think i got it, i forgot that the constants I pulled out the front are being multiplied back in, so it should be $$\frac{μ_{0}IV}{2\pi r^{2}}$$?
Yes.

ok, Thank you so much.
I am way too stressed right now, and you were a big help :)

1. How do I determine the change in B field strength?

To determine the change in B field strength, you will need to measure the initial B field strength and the final B field strength. The change in B field strength can then be calculated by subtracting the initial value from the final value. This will give you the overall change in B field strength.

2. What factors can affect the change in B field strength?

The change in B field strength can be affected by several factors. Some of the most common factors include the distance from the source of the magnetic field, the orientation of the field, and the strength and direction of the current flowing through the source.

3. Can I derive a formula for change in B field strength from first principles?

Yes, it is possible to derive a formula for change in B field strength from first principles. This involves using fundamental laws and principles of electromagnetism, such as Faraday's law of induction and the Biot-Savart law, to mathematically describe the change in B field strength.

4. How can I use a formula for change in B field strength in real-world applications?

A formula for change in B field strength can be used in various real-world applications, such as designing and predicting the behavior of electromagnets, motors, and generators. It can also be used in industries such as electronics, transportation, and energy production.

5. Are there any alternative methods for determining the change in B field strength?

Yes, there are alternative methods for determining the change in B field strength. One method is to use a magnetometer, which is a device that measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field. Another method is to use computer simulations and models to predict the change in B field strength in different scenarios.