How can I determine the inclination degree? (visual binary)

In summary: No, the line-of-sight direction is not perpendicular to the orbital plane. The line-of-sight direction is perpendicular to the line joining the observer and the center of mass of the binary.
arcTomato
Homework Statement
When I can observe the orbit of visual binary,How can I determine the inclination degree??
Relevant Equations
Keplar's low??
Problem Statement: When I can observe the orbit of visual binary,How can I determine the inclination degree??
Relevant Equations: Keplar's low??

But now, we know the distance to the binary(45.9pc), and viewing radius(1.2mas).

Physics news on Phys.org
arcTomato said:
and viewing radius(1.2mas).
what do you mean by viewing radius? The observed projections of semi-major axis?

Is this a real homework problem you have been given somewhere? It doesn't look like it is...

Generally, it may not be an easy task to determine the angle of inclination. As far as I know, the usual way to do it, is to compare the observed trajectories (orbit projected onto the plane of the sky) with projections of various ellipses. If the inclination is not zero, the focus of the observed orbit and the apparent position of the center of mass will not match, so seemingly the first Kepler's law will be violated. So the goal is to find such ellipse and inclination angle, for which the observed trajectories are consistent with the Kepler's law.

Likes arcTomato
Hello @lomidrevo ,Thank you for helping, again and again!😢

lomidrevo said:
what do you mean by viewing radius? The observed projections of semi-major axis?
Yes, sorry my english is bad...
lomidrevo said:
If the inclination is not zero, the focus of the observed orbit and the apparent position of the center of mass will not match,
I'm not really sure this part.
So, If the inclination angle is ZERO, the focus equals the center of mass??

arcTomato said:
So, If the inclination angle is ZERO, the focus equals the center of mass??
Yes, because if the inclination angle is zero, that means that orbital plane of the binary is perpendicular to your line-of-sight. In such case you see the orbit (ellipse) as it is described by first Kepler's law and the center of mass of the binary is located in one of the foci.

Likes arcTomato
arcTomato said:
Hello @lomidrevo ,Thank you for helping, again and again!😢
Com'on, its only third time :smile:
Although PF has many members, for some topics you will be meeting the same faces (or maybe I should say avatars) again and again. You will get used for that :wink:

And you are welcome, of course, but you don't have to thank each time. Members are always happy when they can help!

Likes arcTomato
lomidrevo said:
Yes, because if the inclination angle is zero, that means that orbital plane of the binary is perpendicular to your line-of-sight. In such case you see the orbit (ellipse) as it is described by first Kepler's law and the center of mass of the binary is located in one of the foci.
ok I have a new question.
Dose first Kepler's law describe "the center of mass of the binary is located in one of the foci" ?
I thought If I think of the sun and the earth, the center of mass of the binary is not the foci.But you said it's wrong, isn't it?
lomidrevo said:
Com'on, its only third time :smile:
Although PF has many members, for some topics you will be meeting the same faces (or maybe I should say avatars) again and again. You will get used for that :wink:

And you are welcome, of course, but you don't have to thank each time. Members are always happy when they can help!
ok but I just wanted to tell you how much I am grateful!
I'm studying about astrophysics ,so I'll often ask a question where I don't know.

arcTomato said:
Dose first Kepler's law describe "the center of mass of the binary is located in one of the foci" ?
I thought If I think of the sun and the earth, the center of mass of the binary is not the foci.
Well yes, the "original" law defined by Kepler said that the Sun is in the focus. But revisiting the law using Newtonian mechanics and his Gravitational law, you will see that it is not Sun, but the center of mass of the system that sits in the common focus.

We cannot blame Kepler for this "small" incorrectness, because the observations were not precise enough. And as Sun contains more than 99% of mass of the whole solar system, it is not surprising.

Likes arcTomato
arcTomato said:
I'm studying about astrophysics ,so I'll often ask a question where I don't know.
OK, so very soon it will be quite contrarily: you will answer my questions :smile: I am just an enthusiastic amateur.

Likes arcTomato
lomidrevo said:
Well yes, the "original" law defined by Kepler said that the Sun is in the focus. But revisiting the law using Newtonian mechanics and his Gravitational law, you will see that it is not Sun, but the center of mass of the system that sits in the common focus.
So,There is a little bit distance from the real center of mass to the location of the sun, But can we ignore it??right??

lomidrevo said:
If the inclination is not zero, the focus of the observed orbit and the apparent position of the center of mass will not match,
Really?I can't imagine this part.
I thought that Line-of-sight direction of the component of the center of mass is the same.

lomidrevo said:
So the goal is to find such ellipse and inclination angle, for which the observed trajectories are consistent with the Kepler's law.
Can I calculate this on hand?? How??
lomidrevo said:
OK, so very soon it will be quite contrarily: you will answer my questions :smile: I am just an enthusiastic amateur.
Wow,Amateur! Cool!
I have to study so hard 🙃

Last edited:
Likes lomidrevo
arcTomato said:
So,There is a little bit distance from the real center of mass to the location of the sun
The common center of mass (barycenter) is not located in the center of Sun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barycenter
arcTomato said:
But can we ignore it??
I would say, it depends on what kind of task you are going to perform.

arcTomato said:
Really?I can't imagine this part.
See figure 4.3 https://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~pettini/STARS/Lecture04.pdf.

arcTomato said:
Can I calculate this on hand?? How??
You mean to find the matching ellipse and angle of inclination? This is a task for a computer I would say.

Also have a look at equation (4.4) in the same link. Normally, you are trying to guess the total and individual masses of the binary. But if these are know to you already, you can indeed calculate the angle of inclination by hand.

Likes arcTomato
I got it now! This link is so useful!

Likes lomidrevo

1. What is inclination degree?

Inclination degree is the angle between the orbital plane of a celestial body and a reference plane, usually the plane of the Earth's orbit around the Sun.

2. Why is it important to determine the inclination degree?

Determining the inclination degree of a visual binary allows us to understand the orientation and stability of the system, as well as its physical properties such as mass and distance.

3. How can I measure the inclination degree of a visual binary?

The inclination degree can be measured by observing the apparent motion of the two components of the binary system over time and using mathematical calculations, such as Kepler's laws of planetary motion.

4. Are there any challenges in determining the inclination degree of a visual binary?

Yes, there are several challenges in accurately determining the inclination degree, such as the effects of orbital eccentricity, observational biases, and uncertainties in the measurements.

5. Can the inclination degree of a visual binary change over time?

Yes, the inclination degree of a visual binary can change over time due to various factors such as interactions with other nearby objects or changes in the orbital parameters of the binary system itself.