Determining The Inclination Angle of A Stellar Binary System

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty in determining the inclination angle of the orbital plane of a binary star system. The professor explained that current instruments are not sensitive enough to accurately measure this angle and suggested contacting other experts for their opinions. The individual then attempted to come up with their own method using equations, but it may still be limited by current technology. It was also mentioned that closer binaries in closer orbits could potentially provide more accurate results with future observatories. However, it was noted that the phrase "impossible" may refer to current technological limitations rather than an absolute inability to determine the angle.
Phys12
I am a Physics undergraduate at the University of Texas at Arlington. I am currently taking an Astrophysics class in which my professor talked about the inclination angle of the orbital plane of the binary star system and how it is impossible to determine that angle. I was wondering why is it the case? What exactly makes it impossible to find out the inclination angle of a stellar binary system? I asked my professor and he said that he doesn't think my method would work because our instruments are not sensitive enough and recommended that I contact other people/professors and see what they say since this is not his area of research.

I tried playing around with some equations hoping to come up with a way of figuring out the inclination angle to get the true velocity of the star. I have attached what I have been able to come up with so far, however, I am not sure how feasible this would be.

Attachments

• Inclination angle.png
    Inclination angle.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 928
  • Inclination Angle of Spectroscopic Binaries.pdf
    94.2 KB · Views: 496
Astronomy news on Phys.org
One of the most sensitive spectrometers in the world, the one installed in
the Very Large Telescope in the European Space Observatory has a resolution
of 105
That is the ability to resolve different spectral lines, to determine the radial velocity you "only" have to find the center, that can be done with a much higher accuracy. 1 m/s radial velocity measurements are possible with bright stars, a bit better is possible under ideal conditions with a lot of observation time (e. g. Alpha Centauri Bb - 0.5 m/s).

Let's consider a very close binary star with 200 km/s radial velocity and give it a distance of 10 parsec to make optical resolution difficult. The angle changes by 1/10 of an arcsecond, that changes the radial velocity by something like 500 km/s * sin(1/10 arcsecond) = 0.1 m/s. Maybe a factor 2 more if the alignment of the systems is ideal. Still too small to resolve it with current telescopes. HIRES at the ELT might be able to do it. It is focused on detecting planets however, not tiny changes in rapidly orbiting binary stars.
Closer binaries in even closer orbits would help as well, but I'm not sure if they exist. Overall the best future observatories could maybe get a very rough idea of the orientation of a few systems with ideal conditions if you spend a lot of observation time on it. I'm not sure how useful that is.

mfb said:
That is the ability to resolve different spectral lines, to determine the radial velocity you "only" have to find the center, that can be done with a much higher accuracy. 1 m/s radial velocity measurements are possible with bright stars, a bit better is possible under ideal conditions with a lot of observation time (e. g. Alpha Centauri Bb - 0.5 m/s).

Let's consider a very close binary star with 200 km/s radial velocity and give it a distance of 10 parsec to make optical resolution difficult. The angle changes by 1/10 of an arcsecond, that changes the radial velocity by something like 500 km/s * sin(1/10 arcsecond) = 0.1 m/s. Maybe a factor 2 more if the alignment of the systems is ideal. Still too small to resolve it with current telescopes. HIRES at the ELT might be able to do it. It is focused on detecting planets however, not tiny changes in rapidly orbiting binary stars.
Closer binaries in even closer orbits would help as well, but I'm not sure if they exist. Overall the best future observatories could maybe get a very rough idea of the orientation of a few systems with ideal conditions if you spend a lot of observation time on it. I'm not sure how useful that is.
So, if it's the case that the only limitation in figuring out the inclination angle is the sensitivity of our detectors, then why is it said that it's impossible to figure out the inclination angle? My method seems easy enough that someone would've thought of it before me. When they say impossible, do they mean impossible in terms of our technological limitations?

Phys12 said:
When they say impossible, do they mean impossible in terms of our technological limitations?
Yes.
If you ignore technological limitations you can send a probe there.

1. What is the purpose of determining the inclination angle of a stellar binary system?

The inclination angle of a stellar binary system is a crucial parameter that helps scientists understand the dynamics and evolution of the system. It provides valuable information about the orientation of the orbit, the mass ratio of the stars, and the physical properties of the stars themselves.

2. How is the inclination angle of a stellar binary system measured?

The inclination angle can be determined through a variety of methods, such as spectroscopic observations, photometric light curves, or astrometric measurements. These techniques involve analyzing the motion, brightness, and position of the stars in the system to calculate the angle of inclination.

3. Can the inclination angle of a stellar binary system change over time?

Yes, the inclination angle of a stellar binary system can change over time due to external influences such as gravitational interactions with other objects or internal processes within the stars themselves. However, these changes occur slowly and can be difficult to detect.

4. What are the challenges in accurately determining the inclination angle of a stellar binary system?

One of the main challenges in determining the inclination angle is the presence of observational biases. For example, if the orbital plane of the system is aligned with our line of sight, it can be difficult to measure the inclination angle accurately. Additionally, the presence of a third body in the system can also affect the measurements and make it challenging to determine the true inclination angle.

5. What are the potential implications of accurately determining the inclination angle of a stellar binary system?

Accurately determining the inclination angle of a stellar binary system can have significant implications for our understanding of stellar evolution, as well as for the study of exoplanets. It can also help us better understand the formation and dynamics of binary star systems and how they interact with their environment.