How Can I Estimate the Cutoff Voltage of a MOSFET From a Graph?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the threshold voltage of several mosfets using a graph of Ids vs Vds for different values of Vgs. The suggested method is to plot √(-Id) vs Vgs and the intercept will give the threshold voltage. The estimated threshold voltage is around -6V and it is recommended to use a graph of drain current vs gate voltage for more accurate results. There may be some non linearity in the turn-on behavior of the FET.
Lith1um
Hi,

I recently conducted a lab experiment involving several mosfets of varying channel length and width and have plotted Ids against Vds for different values of Vgs (below is one of the graphs).
15oe70l.png

I am now trying to find the threshold voltage of each mosfet using their graphs although I am having trouble figuring out how to do that and cannot find much help that is already online (I'm probably just bad at using google). Any help concerning this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you look up the equations for the current of a MOSFET, you will find that in the saturation region:
[tex] I_d \propto (V_{GS} - V_T)^2 [/tex]

So, I would choose a value of Vds where the device is in the saturation region (Vds = -7V or -8V looks good), and the plot √(-Id) vs Vgs. The intercept should give you Vt.

The threshold voltage is the voltage needed from gate to source to make the FET conduct current from drain to source.

You can estimate this from your graph. It is about -6 volts, because no current flows at any collector voltage unless the gate voltage is at least -6 volts.

The threshold voltage is significantly less (in magnitude) than 6V, which you will see if you make the graph I recommended.

The question asked was, using THAT graph, how would you estimate the cutoff voltage.

Given that the lowest value of gate voltage given is -7 volts, you could just say " something less than 7 volts".

There may be some non linearity in the turn-on behaviour of the FET but we don't know at this stage.

The graph of drain current vs gate voltage would be much more useful, as you suggest.

vk6kro said:
The question asked was, using THAT graph, how would you estimate the cutoff voltage.

Given that the lowest value of gate voltage given is -7 volts, you could just say " something less than 7 volts".

There may be some non linearity in the turn-on behaviour of the FET but we don't know at this stage.

The graph of drain current vs gate voltage would be much more useful, as you suggest.

You're not getting it. You can quantitatively extract the threshold voltage from the graph that the OP has by just generating the plot I suggested. No more measurements are required. This will give you a much more accurate value than "less than 7V".

1. What is the threshold voltage of a MOSFET?

The threshold voltage of a MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is the minimum voltage required for the device to switch from its "off" state to its "on" state. It is also known as the gate-to-source voltage at which the transistor begins to conduct current.

2. How is the threshold voltage determined for a MOSFET?

The threshold voltage for a MOSFET is determined by the properties of the materials used in its construction, such as the thickness of the oxide layer and the doping levels of the semiconductor layers. It also depends on the type of MOSFET (n-channel or p-channel) and the manufacturing process used.

3. What factors can affect the threshold voltage of a MOSFET?

The threshold voltage of a MOSFET can be affected by temperature, gate oxide thickness, channel length, and doping levels. Changes in these factors can alter the voltage at which the MOSFET switches on, and can also affect its performance and reliability.

4. Can the threshold voltage of a MOSFET be adjusted?

Yes, the threshold voltage of a MOSFET can be adjusted through a process called "threshold voltage engineering." This technique involves modifying the doping levels and/or thickness of the gate oxide layer to achieve a desired threshold voltage for a specific application.

5. Why is the threshold voltage of a MOSFET important?

The threshold voltage of a MOSFET is an important parameter as it determines the voltage level required to turn the device on and off. It also affects the overall performance and power consumption of the MOSFET. Understanding and controlling the threshold voltage is crucial for designing efficient and reliable electronic circuits.