How can I find an objects # of revolutions as it accelerates

In summary: Kacie then multiplied by 2.4 seconds to get a rate of 336 rotations per second, which was then converted to rotations per minute. However, the original problem asked for revolutions per minute, so the final result should be divided by 60 to get 336/60 = 5.6 revolutions per second, which is the same as 336 rotations per minute.
Kacie
The crankshaft in a race car goes from rest to 3180rpm in 2.4s .

a) What is the crankshaft's angular acceleration? >>Which I found to be ~140rad/s^2

b) How many revolutions does it make while reaching 3180rpm ?

How can I find the answer to b) ? I'm not even sure where to start..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kacie,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

In future please be sure to use the formatting template provided in the editing window whn you post a question here in the homework areas. It's in the forum rules.

For part b, you have an angular acceleration and a time. How many radians (angular distance) will the shaft rotate during that time?

It may be helpful to compare this to a linear analogy where you have acceleration and time. What formula would you use to find the distance that an object moves if it starts from rest and accelerates at a constant rate a for time t?

? For (a), if you accelerate at 140 revs per second per second for 2.4 seconds, you will go from 0 to 140(2.4)= 336 revs per second. 336(60)= 20160 revs per minute, not 3180. How did you get 140?

Assuming that increase is at constant "acceleration", then we can take an average revs per minute as the average of the initial and end values: (0+ 3180)/2= 1590 revs per minute. How many revolutions would it make at 1590 revs per minute in 2.4 s?

HallsofIvy said:
? For (a), if you accelerate at 140 revs per second per second for 2.4 seconds, you will go from 0 to 140(2.4)= 336 revs per second. 336(60)= 20160 revs per minute, not 3180. How did you get 140?
Kacie's acceleration result had units of radians per second per second, not rotations/s/s.

1. How do I calculate the number of revolutions an object makes as it accelerates?

The number of revolutions an object makes as it accelerates can be calculated using the formula N = (2πa)/g, where N is the number of revolutions, a is the acceleration, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

2. Can the number of revolutions change as the object accelerates?

Yes, the number of revolutions can change as the object accelerates. This is because the acceleration affects the speed at which the object rotates, therefore changing the time it takes for the object to complete one revolution.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the number of revolutions?

The mass of the object does not affect the number of revolutions as it accelerates. The acceleration and the radius of the object's path are the only factors that determine the number of revolutions.

4. Is the number of revolutions the same for all objects with the same acceleration?

No, the number of revolutions is not the same for all objects with the same acceleration. The number of revolutions also depends on the radius of the object's path. Objects with a larger radius will have a smaller number of revolutions compared to objects with a smaller radius.

5. Can I use this formula to find the number of revolutions for circular motion?

Yes, this formula can also be used to find the number of revolutions for circular motion. In this case, the acceleration would be the centripetal acceleration, and the radius would be the radius of the circular path.