How can I find the adiabatic equation for real gases?

In summary, The conversation discusses the process of obtaining the real gas adiabatic equation. The speaker mentions their difficulty in finding an equation for real gas and suggests the use of the Van der Waals equation. Another equation is also mentioned and the speaker asks for assistance in obtaining the exact equation for adiabatic process from it. It is noted that the Van der Waals equation has its limitations.
AudriusR
Hey!
Maybe anyone knows, how to get real gas adiabatic equation. It's not a big deal, when you need to get ideal gas equation, but I haven't got any ideas about real gas. I'm wondering maybe it's something with Van der Waals equation, but in my opinion it can't be like this :

(p+a/V2)(V+b)[itex]\gamma[/itex] = constant

So any ideas? It would be great, if you could show me detailed answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got an equation to solve for this, maybe anyone could help :

n Cv dT + an/V + nRT logV/ logbn = 0

How to get exact equation for adiabatic process from this ?

The van der Vaal equation does not hold for all gases or all conditions it has limits.

Related to How can I find the adiabatic equation for real gases?

1. What is the "Real gas adiabatic equation"?

The Real gas adiabatic equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas undergoing a reversible adiabatic process. It takes into account the non-ideal behavior of real gases, unlike the ideal gas law.

2. How is the Real gas adiabatic equation different from the Ideal gas law?

The Ideal gas law assumes that gases behave ideally, meaning they have no intermolecular forces and occupy no volume. The Real gas adiabatic equation takes into account the non-ideal behavior of real gases, such as intermolecular forces and finite gas volumes.

3. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no transfer of heat between a system and its surroundings. This means that the change in internal energy of the system is solely due to work done on or by the system.

4. How is the Real gas adiabatic equation derived?

The Real gas adiabatic equation is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. By assuming that the adiabatic process is reversible, the equation is derived using the ideal gas law and the concept of specific heats.

5. What are the applications of the Real gas adiabatic equation?

The Real gas adiabatic equation is used in various fields such as thermodynamics, engineering, and atmospheric science. It is helpful in analyzing and understanding the behavior of real gases in adiabatic processes, and can also be used to calculate the work done and temperature changes in these processes.