How can I find the limit of the integral?

In summary, the problem is to find the limit as x approaches infinity of the integral from x to x^2 of sqrt(t^3+1)dt divided by x^5. The solution involves using the fact that for very large x, the integral is essentially the integral over t^(3/2), and does not require the use of Maclaurin or l'Hopital's theorem. This simplifies the problem significantly and leads to a simple solution.
SunGirl

Homework Statement

Hi! I need to find the limit when x-> +infinity of (integral from x to x^2 of (sqrt(t^3+1)dt))/x^5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The integral of (sqrt(t^3+1)dt) can only be estimated, so sqrt(t^3+1)=(t^(3/2))*sqrt(1+1/t^3) should I use the maclaurin series first for the function sqrt(1 + 1/t^3) (but f`(0) = infinity and I also can`t use maclaurin series for sqrt(t^3+1) as t is infinity) and then take integral for the first several elements? please help, I don`t understand how should I solve this problem.
P.S. Sorry for my bad English :/

Attachments

• a0d62eb7-0bcd-4609-ad73-c0552e312623byntuhfkj.jpg
    a0d62eb7-0bcd-4609-ad73-c0552e312623byntuhfkj.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
SunGirl said:

Homework Statement

Hi! I need to find the limit when x-> +infinity of (integral from x to x^2 of (sqrt(t^3+1)dt))/x^5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The integral of (sqrt(t^3+1)dt) can only be estimated, so sqrt(t^3+1)=(t^(3/2))*sqrt(1+1/t^3) should I use the maclaurin series first for the function sqrt(1 + 1/t^3) (but f`(0) = infinity and I also can`t use maclaurin series for sqrt(t^3+1) as t is infinity) and then take integral for the first several elements? please help, I don`t understand how should I solve this problem.
P.S. Sorry for my bad English :/

Have you thought about trying to apply l'Hopital's theorem?

You need neither Maclaurin nor l'Hopital, this question is much simpler.
For very large x, the integral must be essentially the integral over t^(3/2) (Though you may want to find a solid reasoning for that, for example with a Taylor series). The rest is very simple.

Likes SunGirl
Gigaz said:
You need neither Maclaurin nor l'Hopital, this question is much simpler.
For very large x, the integral must be essentially the integral over t^(3/2) (Though you may want to find a solid reasoning for that, for example with a Taylor series). The rest is very simple.
Thank you very much!) Such a simple solution)

1. What is the purpose of finding the limit of an integral?

The limit of an integral is used to evaluate the exact value of a definite integral that cannot be calculated using traditional methods. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a function over a given interval.

2. How do I find the limit of an integral?

To find the limit of an integral, you need to take the integral of the function and then evaluate it at the upper and lower bounds of integration. The limit is then calculated by taking the difference between the two values.

3. Can I use any method to find the limit of an integral?

No, the method used to find the limit of an integral depends on the type of function and the interval of integration. Some common methods include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding the limit of an integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to take the limit at the upper and lower bounds, not using the correct method for the given function, and making errors in the integration process.

5. Is it necessary to find the limit of an integral for every function?

No, it is not always necessary to find the limit of an integral. If the function can be integrated using traditional methods, then finding the limit is not needed. However, for more complex functions, finding the limit is necessary to obtain an accurate value of the definite integral.