How can I find the probability and expectation value in quantum mechanics?

In summary, the probability amplitude of measuring qr given the system is in the state ##|\psi\rangle## is given by ##\langle q _ r | \psi \rangle = \int _{-\infty} ^\infty u_r^*(x) \psi(x) dx## .
Martin Osborne

Homework Statement

[/B]

Hi, I have a problem I have been trying to do for a few days and I am not getting it. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. The question is from "The physics of Quantum Mechanics" by Binney and Skinner.

The question states:
Let ##\psi##(x) be a properly normalised wavefunction and Q an operator on wavefunctions. Let {qr} be the spectrum of Q and let {Ur(x)} be the corresponding correctly normalised eigenfunctions. Write down an expression for the probability that a measure of Q will yeild the value qr.

Show that ##\Sigma_r P(q_r |\psi) = 1##.

Show further that the expectation of Q is ## \langle Q \rangle = \int _{-\infty} ^\infty \psi^* Q \psi dx## .

Homework Equations

and attempt[/B]

So for the first part, the probability amplitude of measuring qr given the system is in the state ## |\psi\rangle ## is given by ## \langle q _ r | \psi \rangle = \int _{-\infty} ^\infty u_r^*(x) \psi(x) dx## .

and taking the mod squared of this gives the probability the question is asking for.

The next part says that summing these probabilities over all r = 1? I understand what this means (probability of finding a value of q within the spectrum given = 1), but don't know how to show this.

As for the last part, the expectation value is the sum of the
probabilities of getting each value of q multiplied by the value qr, so $$ \langle Q \rangle = \Sigma _ r q_r | \int _ {-\infty}^\infty u_r^*(x) \psi(x) dx |^2 $$Cant get any further...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, latex not working let me try again...

fixed it...

Last edited:
Try expanding ##\lvert \psi \rangle## in terms of the eigenstates.

Thanks Vela,

I am thinking ##|\psi\rangle = \int_{-\infty} ^\infty \psi(x) |x\rangle## But is it also the case that ##\psi(x) = \sum a_r u_r(x)## where the ##a_r##s are probability amplitudes in Q space.

Can I say that ##|\psi\rangle = \int_{-\infty} ^\infty (\sum a_r u_r(x)) |x\rangle##

Yes, and that would be equivalent to saying ##\lvert \psi \rangle = \sum_r a_r \lvert q_r \rangle##.

Related to How can I find the probability and expectation value in quantum mechanics?

1. What is quantum mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of these particles, which has led to significant advancements in technology and our understanding of the natural world.

2. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a set of physical laws that describe the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. Unlike classical mechanics, quantum mechanics allows for particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously and exhibits probabilistic behavior.

3. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. The more accurately we know one, the less accurately we can know the other. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has implications for our understanding of the physical world.

4. What is quantum entanglement and how does it work?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other(s), regardless of the distance between them. This means that measuring the state of one particle will instantly affect the state of the other, even if they are separated by large distances.

5. How is quantum mechanics applied in modern technology?

Quantum mechanics has numerous applications in modern technology, such as in the development of transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also crucial in the field of quantum computing, which has the potential to greatly increase computing power and solve complex problems that are not possible with classical computers.