How can I find this formula for the magnetic flux density? (EMagn)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Biot-Savart formula to find the magnetic flux density at point P, with one person providing guidance and hints on how to correctly use the formula. The conversation also touches on the integration process and the result for a semi-infinite line.
Boltzman Oscillation
Homework Statement
A semi-infinite linear conductor extends between z = 0 and z = inf. along the z- axis. If the current in the inductor flows along the positive z-direction find H(vector) at a point in the x-y plane at a distance r from the conductor.
Relevant Equations
H = I/(4*pi) Integral[( dl x R)/R^2]
I drew an illustration to make this easier:

1571355836024.png

Point P is where I wish to find the magnetic flux density H.
Given the Biot-Savart formula:
$$d\textbf{H} = \frac{I}{4\pi}\frac{d\textbf{l}\times\textbf{R}}{R^2}$$
I can let
$$d\textbf{l} = \hat{z}dz$$
and
$$\hat{z}dz\times\textbf{R} = \hat{\phi}sin(\theta_{Rdl})dz$$
Have I done this correctly so far? If so, what should I let R^2 in the Biot-Savart equation be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok. I'll give you a hint: What is ## \frac{r}{R} ##? One other hint is you would do well to also express ## z ## in terms of ## \theta ## and ## r ##, and write ## dz ## as a ## d \theta ## expression, and integrate over ## \theta ##.

Likes Boltzman Oscillation
Charles Link said:
Looks ok. I'll give you a hint: What is ## \frac{r}{R} ##? One other hint is you would do well to also express ## z ## in terms of ## \theta ## and ## r ##, and write ## dz ## as a ## d \theta ## expression, and integrate over ## \theta ##.
Ah, I think I see what you mean.
$$R = rcsc(\theta)$$
$$z = rcsc^2(\theta)d\theta$$
$$dz = rcsc^2(\theta)d\theta$$
Thus Biot-Savart's law becomes:
Then doing all the integration from 0 to limiting angle will eventually lead me to:
$$H = \hat{\phi}\frac{I}{4\pi r}$$
Of course this is taking into account that this is a semi-infinite line.
thank you for that clarification.

Likes Charles Link
Very good. :smile:The result for a whole wire running from ## -\infty ## to ## +\infty ## is twice this answer, and can readily be found from Ampere's law. You will likely see that soon also in your coursework.

1. Where can I find the formula for magnetic flux density (B)?

The formula for magnetic flux density is typically found in physics or engineering textbooks, or on reputable scientific websites. It is also commonly available in reference materials or databases related to electromagnetism.

2. Is there only one formula for magnetic flux density?

No, there are different formulas for calculating magnetic flux density depending on the specific situation. For example, the formula may differ depending on the type of magnet or the medium in which the magnetic field is being measured.

3. How is the formula for magnetic flux density derived?

The formula for magnetic flux density is derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.

4. Can the formula for magnetic flux density be applied to all types of magnets?

The formula for magnetic flux density is applicable to all types of magnets, as long as the magnet is stationary and not in motion. For moving magnets, the formula for magnetic flux density must take into account the additional effects of velocity and acceleration.

5. How can I use the formula for magnetic flux density in practical applications?

The formula for magnetic flux density is commonly used in calculations and measurements related to electromagnetism, such as in the design of magnetic materials, motors, generators, and other devices that utilize magnetic fields.