How can I fix a corrupted SD card and restore my files?

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sd
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a corrupted SD card and the potential solutions to recover the files from it. One option is to try a live Linux CD and use tools to fix the corrupted file system or extract the files. Another solution is to use chkdsk to attempt to fix the logical sector linkages, but it is important to note that this may not always be successful and could potentially cause data loss. It is also recommended to have backups of important files in case of data loss. Other tools and options for data recovery from corrupted disks are also mentioned.
Computer science news on Phys.org
Windows cannot identify the disk. Right clicking gives 0 bytes and 0 bytes for for used and free spaces. The only alternative seems to be a live cd.

Checking command gives Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.

I tried 4 different live cd. They were very old versions and only Open Suse 11.3 (i586) and Linux 2.6.34-12-default i686, KDE 4.4.4 (release 2) could work. But unfortunately I cannot see that corrupted sd card there. Does trying one of the newest versions work?

Windows sees the file system as RAW. With this file system, what are the recovery options?

Thank you.

Try knoppix it’s Linux but with tools to help you fix windows filesystems or extract files from them.

jedishrfu said:
Try knoppix it’s Linux but with tools to help you fix windows filesystems or extract files from them.

Do you mean with a Knoppix live CD/USB I can access or enter into the disk with RAW file system so that I can copy all files and folders into another disk? It would be great.

Thank you.

You need to check this. These utilities aren't magic. Sometimes you just can't get back the files that's why we always back up our files on multiple media and stored in multiple places unless you don't care about file recovery ie files that are easily regenerated or gotten from the internet.

mech-eng said:
Do you mean with a Knoppix live CD/USB I can access or enter into the disk with RAW file system so that I can copy all files and folders into another disk? It would be great.

Thank you.

I’ve used it to recover files on a drive I could no longer boot from which means the boot sector was corrupted. For other kinds of corruptions it depends on what got corrupted. It’s not magic. There are tools that can read at the raw sector level where you might recover parts of files from you can reconstruct the file like a lost program to save on retyping it. It wouldn’t be much help with binary files like jpgs or video or executable files.

1. How do I know if my SD card is corrupted?

You may notice that your device is unable to recognize the SD card or you may encounter errors when trying to access the files on the card. Additionally, you may see a notification that the SD card is corrupted when inserting it into a device.

2. Can I fix a corrupted SD card without losing my files?

It is possible to fix a corrupted SD card and restore your files, but it is not guaranteed. Attempting to repair the card may result in further damage and data loss. It is recommended to try data recovery methods first before attempting to fix the card.

3. How can I recover my files from a corrupted SD card?

There are various data recovery software and tools available that can help you retrieve your files from a corrupted SD card. These programs work by scanning the card for any remaining data and allowing you to save it to a different location.

4. Can formatting the SD card fix the corruption?

In some cases, formatting the SD card may fix the corruption and allow you to access your files again. However, this will also erase all data on the card, so it should only be used as a last resort. Make sure to back up your files before formatting.

5. How can I prevent my SD card from getting corrupted in the future?

To prevent your SD card from getting corrupted, it is important to handle it properly and avoid any physical damage. Always eject the card safely before removing it from a device and avoid using the card in multiple devices. It is also recommended to regularly back up your files from the SD card to a different location.