Mounting encrypted .img file on x86_64 Linux

• Thread starter jhae2.718
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File Linux
In summary, the conversation discusses the destruction of a system due to playing with the fglrx driver for AMD graphic cards, resulting in a reinstallation from a live CD. The /home partition was encrypted and not recovered during the reinstall due to a corrupted backup. The user has an .img file and corresponding .key, but is unable to mount it and suspects that the reinstall generated a new key, causing decryption issues. The conversation also mentions plans for a complete reinstallation and a forum discussion on a similar topic.
jhae2.718
Gold Member
While playing around with the fglrx driver for AMD graphic cards I managed to completely destroy my system last night. (Tip: never play with the kernel after 11 pm.)

After reinstalling from a live CD, I have the OS up and running. Unfortunately, my /home partition was encrypted so the reinstall did not recover that. (My backup was corrupted; stupid of me, I know. Anyone have a good Linux backup solution?)

However, I have an .img file of the encrypted contents of my /home directory, and I have the corresponding .key. I can't get it to mount, though.

I suspect that mount is trying to use a new key generated by the reinstall for my user account to decrypt the image, which of course doesn't work. Is there a way I can tell mount to use the .key file I have to decrypt the image?

The OS is OpenSUSE 11.4 x86_64, but that shouldn't matter. The reinstall didn't completely go through, so I'm planning on formatting the drive and reinstalling from scratch once school gets out.

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You'll be delighted to know that your post is the first result when I Googled for encrypted img linux! :tongue:

FWIW, the second result is a forum discussion wherein a poster offers the Nautilus script he wrote to uncompress and mount:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=920180

That's a different sitatuin than what I have, but thanks for looking. I suspect I'll have to post the question on the distro's forums, but I wanted to see if anyone on PF could come up with something first.

Maybe this time I'll learn to make sure my backups worked.

1. How do I mount an encrypted .img file on x86_64 Linux?

To mount an encrypted .img file on x86_64 Linux, you will first need to install the necessary tools. This typically includes cryptsetup and a file system driver, such as ext4 or ntfs-3g. Once these are installed, you can use the "cryptsetup" command to create a mapping for the encrypted file and then use the "mount" command to mount the mapped device.

2. What is cryptsetup and why do I need it to mount an encrypted .img file?

Cryptsetup is a utility used for managing encrypted devices on Linux. It is necessary to mount an encrypted .img file because it allows you to create a mapping for the encrypted file, which can then be used by the mount command to access the encrypted data.

3. Can I mount an encrypted .img file on x86_64 Linux without using cryptsetup?

No, you cannot mount an encrypted .img file on x86_64 Linux without using cryptsetup. Cryptsetup is essential for creating a mapping for the encrypted file, which is needed for the mount command to access the encrypted data.

4. Can I access the encrypted data on a mounted .img file without providing a password?

No, you cannot access the encrypted data on a mounted .img file without providing the correct password. The purpose of encryption is to protect the data, so a password is required to decrypt and access the data.

5. How do I unmount an encrypted .img file on x86_64 Linux?

To unmount an encrypted .img file on x86_64 Linux, you can use the "umount" command followed by the path to the mounted file system. You may also need to use the "cryptsetup" command to close the mapping for the encrypted file before unmounting.