How Can I Grind Wasabi Fibre Into Powder?

In summary, the wasabi plant can be ground down with a blender, but a coffee grinder is better for the task.
Hyperreality
I have bought a few wasabi plants recently, I have been trying to grind some of the stem of the wasabi into paste (as shown in the supermarket), the trouble I am having is gridingthe fibre down.

First thing I tried is using a blender, it works fine on most part, but I just can't grind the fibre properly. I have looked through a lot of websites, all the grinder online are only good for grinding dry plants.

Are there anyways of grinding down the fibre to some kind of miniscule particle or powder?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would first check into how the Japanese prepare it. It could be that they separate the fiber from the rest somehow rather than grind the fiber down.

I thought it would be grated with a really fine grater, then you could make it smoother with a morter.

hypatia said:
I thought it would be grated with a really fine grater, then you could make it smoother with a morter.
Yes, you grate it just like horseradish.

Supposedly http://www.cityfarmer.org/wasabi.html" for things like wasabi, ginger, galangal and other fibrous rhizomes, roots, etc. Look for one with conical teeth rather than pyramidal, it makes a better endproduct. You are going to end up with some fibers remaining on the rhizome, that's fine, you want the juices and less woody parts anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
DocToxyn said:
Supposedly http://www.cityfarmer.org/wasabi.html" sounds like a bit of overkill, unless you're looking to go truly authentic and you don't mind dropping the cash for one and you have no reservations about using a shark-derived product.
What would Alton Brown say?

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Alton would tell you to use a coffee grinder. Much higher speed and finer chopping blades.

That's what he uses for all of his bulk spices and herbs...not that I watch that show a lot...

Evo said:
Hah! Good one. However one of Alton's big things is not having anything in his kitchen that is not a multi-tasker (except his fire extinguisher, and he would probably use that as a rolling pin in a pinch). That sharkskin grater seems pretty uni-tasked to me...:biggrin:
Fred Garvin said:
:Alton would tell you to use a coffee grinder. Much higher speed and finer chopping blades.
That's what he uses for all of his bulk spices and herbs...not that I watch that show a lot...
True, he uses those a lot, and I have several myself, but they are used for dried herbs and spices, nothing wet like fresh ginger or wasabi.

DocToxyn said:
Hah! Good one. However one of Alton's big things is not having anything in his kitchen that is not a multi-tasker (except his fire extinguisher, and he would probably use that as a rolling pin in a pinch). That sharkskin grater seems pretty uni-tasked to me...:biggrin:
True, he uses those a lot, and I have several myself, but they are used for dried herbs and spices, nothing wet like fresh ginger or wasabi.
I bet mine would work. It can grind small rocks. A little wet noodle thing would be no match for it.

what do you make out of small rocks? smaller rocks?

Wow, thanks guys, didn't expect that many reply:!) :!)

So, you guys are saying the sharkskin grater could grind the fibre of the stem of the wasabi?

Yes, but it looks like you should try a coffee grinder first, unless you're a professional sushi chef.

Evo said:
lol, good one.
FredGarvin said:
Alton would tell you to use a coffee grinder. Much higher speed and finer chopping blades.
Exactly right, a coffee grinder. Funny how you... hey who said use his fire extinguisher in a pinch? I thought that was funnier than Evo's comment.

Related to How Can I Grind Wasabi Fibre Into Powder?

1. What is the purpose of grinding fibre to powder?

The purpose of grinding fibre to powder is to break down the fibrous material into smaller particles, making it easier to mix with other substances or to incorporate into a solution. This process also increases the surface area of the fibres, allowing for more efficient extraction of nutrients or other desired components.

2. How is fibre typically ground into powder?

Fibre can be ground into powder using various methods, including mechanical grinding, milling, or pulverizing. These methods involve using a machine or equipment to physically break down the fibres into smaller particles.

3. What are the benefits of grinding fibre to powder?

The benefits of grinding fibre to powder include improved solubility and digestibility, increased surface area for better absorption of nutrients, and easier incorporation into food and drinks. Grinding fibre can also help reduce the risk of choking or digestive discomfort.

4. Can any type of fibre be ground into powder?

Most types of fibre can be ground into powder, but some may be more difficult to grind due to their structure or composition. Generally, fibres that are more soluble or have a finer texture are easier to grind into powder.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to grinding fibre to powder?

One potential drawback of grinding fibre to powder is that it may reduce the physical benefits of consuming fibrous foods, such as promoting satiety and aiding in digestion. Also, some fibres may lose some of their nutritional value during the grinding process. It is important to consider these factors when deciding whether to grind fibre into powder.