How Can I Improve My Understanding of Physics, Especially Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggle with understanding physics due to the disorganized and incomplete information they have received in school and university. They seek help in rearranging and filling in the gaps of their knowledge. The expert suggests taking a writing class to improve mental organization and recommends reading textbooks and teaching the material to oneself or others as a way to better understand physics. They also suggest watching videos on modern topics related to physics.
Mohamed Essam
Since i was 16 years old, i loved physics and i was looking forward to full study it and with a big focus on quantum mechanics, but i have a problem that the physics informations that i studied in school and now in university are not arranged and there are some missing informations that stops me from fully understanding it , and i started figuring that sine i bought a Stephen Hawking's book theory of everything and there are many things i didn't understand it , and in my university ( I'm and engineering student in my first yeare btw) they teach us physics to not to understand it but to know how to solve exam problems to get high marks , so i don't know what to do to rearrange my physics informations and get the missing ones , any help in this big problem?!

Physics news on Phys.org
That was one giant sentence.

I suggest you take a class in writing. It will teach you to better organize your thoughts, and you will need to have this kind of mental organization to make sense of physics.

Likes RJLiberator, Dragon27 and russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
That was one giant sentence.

I suggest you take a class in writing. It will teach you to better organize your thoughts, and you will need to have this kind of mental organization to make sense of physics.
Class in writing! :D

Mohamed Essam said:
so i don't know what to do to rearrange my physics informations and get the missing ones , any help in this big problem?!

It's a big problem that may take a lifetime to solve. You can read "popularized" science books written for the general public for entertainment, but you need to read textbooks to actually learn science. Take a textbook and imagine you are assigned to teach it. Ask yourself how you would explain the material. (If you are adventurous, volunteer as a tutor and put yourself into position where you are forced to make explanations !)

Likes RJLiberator and Mohamed Essam
Stephen Tashi said:
It's a big problem that may take a lifetime to solve. You can read "popularized" science books written for the general public for entertainment, but you need to read textbooks to actually learn science. Take a textbook and imagine you are assigned to teach it. Ask yourself how you would explain the material. (If you are adventurous, volunteer as a tutor and put yourself into position where you are forced to make explanations !)
Could you suggest me any textbooks that explain physics from the beginning?!
PS : I'm good at math by the way

Voltageisntreal said:
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_toc.html

Here you go bud, that's volume I, you can find volume II and III on the same site.
Should i have to read those lectures only; nothing else ?! Any other books to read any videos to watch?!

Hi Mohamed,
you can also watch the videos on this side:
http://theoreticalminimum.com/courses
They include modern topics like black holes or the Higgs particle that are not in the Feynman lectures from 1964, but are a bit more difficult and they probably explain everything in much more detail than you need to understand Hawking book.

Likes Voltageisntreal, RJLiberator and Mohamed Essam
Joe Cool, thank you for the site link. That site has some great videos.

1. How do I become successful in studying physics?

To become successful in studying physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. Consistent practice and dedication to understanding concepts and solving problems are also essential. Seeking help from professors or tutors when needed and actively participating in class discussions can also greatly improve your understanding of the subject.

2. What are the key topics or areas I should focus on when studying physics?

Some key topics in physics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is important to have a solid understanding of these topics as they are fundamental to many other branches of physics. It is also helpful to focus on problem-solving techniques and understanding the underlying principles and theories behind each topic.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

One of the best ways to improve problem-solving skills in physics is by practicing with a variety of problems. Start with simple problems and gradually increase the difficulty level. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to approach them with a systematic and logical approach. Additionally, seeking guidance and feedback from professors or peers can also aid in improving problem-solving skills.

4. What are some resources I can use to study physics effectively?

There are many resources available for studying physics, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It can also be helpful to make use of resources provided by your school, such as tutoring services or study groups organized by professors. Additionally, seeking out additional resources, such as videos or interactive simulations, can also enhance your understanding of the subject.

5. How can I stay motivated and engaged while studying physics?

Staying motivated and engaged while studying physics can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to help. Setting achievable goals and rewarding yourself for reaching them can provide motivation. Finding a study group or study partner can also help keep you accountable and make studying more enjoyable. Additionally, trying to relate the concepts you are learning to real-world applications and seeking out interesting examples or experiments can also increase your engagement with the subject.