How can I learn some basic physics?

In summary, Redviper is a 15-year-old student who will be entering their junior year of high school. They will be taking Pre-cal and Chem 2, but would also like to learn some physics over the summer. They are seeking suggestions and guidance on where to start. A recommended resource is the book "Thinking Physics" by Epstein.
redviper
I'm 15 (going to be 16) and will be going into my junior year of high school.
I will be taking Pre-cal and Chem 2, but I would like to learn a little bit of physics during this summer.
Do you guys have any suggestions or should I wait until I get done with pre-cal?
I would just like to know where to start.

-Redviper

Physics news on Phys.org
redviper said:
I'm 15 (going to be 16) and will be going into my junior year of high school.
I will be taking Pre-cal and Chem 2, but I would like to learn a little bit of physics during this summer.
Do you guys have any suggestions or should I wait until I get done with pre-cal?
I would just like to know where to start.

-Redviper

Welcome to the PF.

This is a fun and interesting book that should be useful for you to read:

"Thinking Physics" by Epstein: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218084/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's inexpensive and available at a number of bookstores, or through Amazon.com. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best way to start learning basic physics?

The best way to start learning basic physics is by first understanding the fundamental concepts, such as motion, forces, energy, and matter. This can be achieved by studying introductory textbooks, watching educational videos, and attending lectures or classes.

2. Do I need a strong math background to learn basic physics?

While having a strong math background can make learning physics easier, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of advanced mathematics. Basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry are usually sufficient for understanding introductory physics concepts.

3. How can I apply basic physics principles to everyday situations?

Physics principles can be applied to various everyday situations, such as understanding the movement of objects, the effects of gravity, and the behavior of energy. By understanding basic physics, you can also make informed decisions about everyday activities, such as driving a car or using household appliances.

4. Is it necessary to perform experiments to learn basic physics?

While experiments can enhance your understanding of physics, they are not necessary to learn the basic principles. However, hands-on experiments can help you visualize and apply the concepts you have learned in a practical setting.

5. Can I learn basic physics on my own or do I need a teacher?

It is possible to learn basic physics on your own through self-study, but having a teacher or instructor can be beneficial. A teacher can provide guidance, answer questions, and help you understand difficult concepts. Additionally, a teacher can also provide hands-on demonstrations and experiments to enhance your learning experience.