How can I make a simple inductive MHD thruster in water simulation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation of water around an MHD inductive thruster and the necessary software for the simulation. It also mentions the use of COMSOL Multiphysics for fluid dynamic analysis and the difference between inductive and conductive MHD thrusters. The speaker also requests for the thread to be moved back to the schoolwork forums for further discussion on the project.
fRod57
Homework Statement:: Simualte the behaviour of water around an mhd inductive thruster
Relevant Equations:: https://www.comsol.fr/paper/download/45837/Pintus.pdf

Where can I start this simulation ? What is the required software ?

[Mentor Note -- thread moved from the technical forums]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes fRod57
In the paper you linked; the last line of the conclusion answers your question...
“Fluid dynamic, electrostatic and convection and diffusion analysis have been performed by means of Finite Element Method (FEM) where the 2D configuration model has been modeled using COMSOL multiphysics.”
See; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMSOL_Multiphysics
There are other FEM packages available.

But it appears you are not building an MHD generator that will employ an ionised gas as the fluid. You are simulating a propulsion motor for a hull in water, as in the fictional “Hunt for Red October”.
Such drives have been built and work best in brine, or seawater.
Start here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetohydrodynamic_drive

• Informative
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Looks like a continuation of this project thread?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...gnets-to-build-an-mhd-propulsion-ship.982998/

What do you want for output? If just text-based input and output files, I'd use C. If you need some visual library support, I'd probably use VC++ or VC#.

Please tell us more about this project, and whether we should move your thread back to the schoolwork forums. Thanks.

Yes, I actually would like to visually simulate the behaviour of an inductive mhd thruster in water in order to compare it with the conductive mhd thruster that I want to make (in terms of performance). When it comes to the conductive thruster, I think I'd use different electrodes to try and compare the outcomes. I'm trying to have some idea on the whole thing before I start off so I think it would be better to move the thread back to the schoolwork forums. Thanks.

Likes berkeman

What is an inductive MHD thruster and how does it work?

An inductive MHD thruster is a type of propulsion system that uses the principles of magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) to generate thrust. It works by using a magnetic field to ionize and accelerate a conductive fluid, such as water, creating a current that interacts with the magnetic field to produce thrust.

What materials do I need to make a simple inductive MHD thruster in water simulation?

To make a simple inductive MHD thruster in water simulation, you will need a conductive fluid (such as salt water), a power source, magnets, electrodes, and a container to hold the fluid.

How do I set up the simulation for an inductive MHD thruster in water?

To set up the simulation for an inductive MHD thruster in water, you will need to first create a model of the thruster and its components using a computer-aided design (CAD) software. Then, you can use a software program, such as a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software, to simulate the behavior of the fluid and magnetic field in the thruster.

What factors affect the performance of an inductive MHD thruster in water?

The performance of an inductive MHD thruster in water can be affected by several factors, including the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, the conductivity and flow rate of the fluid, and the design of the electrodes and thruster geometry.

What are some potential applications of inductive MHD thrusters in water?

Inductive MHD thrusters in water have potential applications in underwater propulsion systems, such as for marine vehicles or underwater robots. They can also be used for mixing and stirring applications in industrial settings, or for generating electricity in renewable energy systems.