How can I reduce a controller with block reduction and find a transfer function?

In summary, the conversation revolves around reducing a controller with block reduction in order to find a transfer function. The individual is attempting to reduce an outer integrator by dividing it into two parallel blocks, but is unsure how to proceed when there are two summations in a row. It is recommended to use Black's formula for negative feedback to find the desired transfer function instead of using the block reduction method. Additionally, it is pointed out that the first summing junction may not be necessary as it only has one input.
Imagin_e
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi!

I've been working on reducing a controller with block reduction in order to understand it and I have trouble to continue since I've stumbled across something that I haven't seen before. My goal is to find a transfer function basically. The block that I reduced looks like this one : https://postimg.org/image/qqfa54ltf/

My attempt now was to reduce the outer integrator, 1/s, by dividing it into two parallell blocks (a rule that I've followed) and continue with the block reduction. Here is what I got after doing this step.
https://postimg.org/image/fkdmoqzpv/

And it is now that I'm lost. I know that I need to reduce the outer loop but I don't know how to do it when we have two summations in row. Anyone that can help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Imagin_e said:
Hi!

I've been working on reducing a controller with block reduction in order to understand it and I have trouble to continue since I've stumbled across something that I haven't seen before. My goal is to find a transfer function basically. The block that I reduced looks like this one : https://postimg.org/image/qqfa54ltf/

My attempt now was to reduce the outer integrator, 1/s, by dividing it into two parallell blocks (a rule that I've followed) and continue with the block reduction. Here is what I got after doing this step.
https://postimg.org/image/fkdmoqzpv/

And it is now that I'm lost. I know that I need to reduce the outer loop but I don't know how to do it when we have two summations in row. Anyone that can help?
Are these block reduction threads of yours for schoolwork problems? If so, they need to be posted in the Homework Help forum, using the HH Template that you are provided there.

berkeman said:
Are these block reduction threads of yours for schoolwork problems? If so, they need to be posted in the Homework Help forum, using the HH Template that you are provided there.
Yes.

Oh, okay. Did not think of that.

No worries, I'll move them...

At first, there is no need to use the block reduction method because you have already a single-loop system.
Of course, you can combine (multiply) the transfer functions of two succeeding blocks into one single block - but this is not necessary because you must multiply both functions anyway.
Secondly, what is the purpose of the first summing junction? It has only one single input. Did you forget something?
Otherwise you can forget it.
You can find the wanted transfer function simply by applying Black`s famous formula for negative feedback.

1. What is block reduction technique?

Block reduction technique is a method used in scientific research to reduce the complexity of a problem or data set by dividing it into smaller, more manageable blocks.

2. How does block reduction technique work?

The technique works by breaking down a larger problem or data set into smaller blocks, each of which can be analyzed or processed separately. This makes the problem more feasible to solve or the data easier to interpret.

3. What are the benefits of using block reduction technique?

Using block reduction technique can help researchers save time and resources by simplifying complex problems. It can also improve the accuracy of results by allowing for more focused analysis on specific blocks of data.

4. When is block reduction technique typically used?

This technique is commonly used in fields such as statistics, computer science, and engineering, where large and complex data sets are common. It can also be used in any scientific research where a problem can be broken down into smaller components.

5. Are there any limitations to using block reduction technique?

While block reduction technique can be a useful tool in scientific research, it may not be appropriate for all types of problems or data sets. In some cases, the blocks may not accurately represent the original problem or data, leading to potential errors in analysis. Additionally, this technique may not be suitable for problems that require a holistic approach or for data sets that are highly interdependent.