How can I measure the force applied to something?

In summary, the author is trying to find a way to apply a specific amount of force to their device to see how it reacts. They are considering a dynamometer, a push/pull meter, and a push force gauge.
Amarah

Homework Statement

For a personal project I am doing, I want to test a range of forces in the horizontal direction, and see how the device I created reacts at different forces. So for example, if I want to apply 5N specifically to a device, to see how it reacts under that force, how would I go about applying it? Like applying a specific amount of force. Because I can measure displacement, and I can push on my device with my own fingers, but I don't know what amount of force I am pushing with. I want to know specifically the amount of force.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Something like a dynamometer, but instead of knowing the force being applied to the dynamometer, I want to replace the dynamometer with my device. And I know spring force meters can measure a force, but I want to take a measured force and apply it to something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Put a platform scale between your finger and the device and push.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbSI5TF-zmfthnlmZ4MUkktjWtrWerHW8zon_0XTcxLC3AtSKQUg.jpg

Connect a pull scale (fish scale) to the far side of your device and pull.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-LahRZkt8HPwiCXIJUPkpCGSL4Z77FQ6QPhL3B_Dzpn1EVes8LA.jpg

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbSI5TF-zmfthnlmZ4MUkktjWtrWerHW8zon_0XTcxLC3AtSKQUg.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbSI5TF-zmfthnlmZ4MUkktjWtrWerHW8zon_0XTcxLC3AtSKQUg.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,100
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-LahRZkt8HPwiCXIJUPkpCGSL4Z77FQ6QPhL3B_Dzpn1EVes8LA.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-LahRZkt8HPwiCXIJUPkpCGSL4Z77FQ6QPhL3B_Dzpn1EVes8LA.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,101
Likes scottdave and Amarah
Tom.G said:
Put a platform scale between your finger and the device and push.
View attachment 222737

Connect a pull scale (fish scale) to the far side of your device and pull.
View attachment 222738

I considered these previously, but I don’t think they’ll work. My device is in a symmetrical (along the y-axis) oval shape, and in typical use, force would be applied to both the long sides (along the x-direction). So I want to apply a force to one end and see how far inwards it will deform (which would also theoretically be happening on the other end since symmetrical...)

So for the latter, I want a push force against the device, so that wouldn’t quite work. For the former, it wouldn’t really reflect the testing conditjons I want, I think. I don’t want to completely smush the device.

Likes Amarah
Amarah said:
So for the latter, I want a push force against the device, so that wouldn’t quite work. For the former, it wouldn’t really reflect the testing conditjons I want, I think. I don’t want to completely smush the device.
How about a Push/Pull meter like this one?

http://www.4physics.com/catalog/images/ForceMeterPush.png
ForceMeterPush.png

Attachments

• ForceMeterPush.png
    ForceMeterPush.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,080
Likes scottdave and Amarah
Combination of string pulleys and weights?

Amarah said:
That looks promising! Would a push force gauge be similar? I think that could work.
That *is* a push force gauge... Notice how it is being used to push that box UP the ramp...? :smile:

Use the link to the picture to get to the website. It looks like they sell several different styles of force gauges.

Likes Amarah
berkeman said:
That *is* a push force gauge... Notice how it is being used to push that box UP the ramp...? :smile:

Use the link to the picture to get to the website. It looks like they sell several different styles of force gauges.

Thank you so much!

Likes berkeman

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

How do I measure force?

Force can be measured using a device called a force meter or a spring scale. These instruments have a hook or a spring that stretches when a force is applied, and the amount of stretch is measured to determine the force applied.

What is the difference between weight and force?

Weight is a type of force that is caused by the gravitational pull between two objects. Force, on the other hand, can be caused by various factors such as applied pressure, tension, or friction. Weight is measured in Newtons (N) while force can be measured in different units depending on the type of force.

What is the unit of force?

The unit of force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to 1 kilogram-meter per second squared (kg•m/s²). Other common units of force include pound-force (lbf) and dyne (dyn).

How can I measure the force applied to an object in motion?

To measure the force applied to an object in motion, you can use a device called a dynamometer or a force sensor. These instruments can measure the force applied at a specific moment, as well as the overall force over a period of time.