How can I model a temperature change using MATLAB?

In summary, the conversation is about modeling an equation involving k, Delta Q, and t. The goal is to find t, with k being a floating variable and Delta Q being a fixed variable. The speaker suggests using a loop in MATLAB to plot a k vs t curve, but there is a discussion about the indexing of arrays in MATLAB.
BubblesAreUs

Homework Statement

Modelling the following equation:

k = Delta Q / t

Homework Equations

Q = T2 - T1 = -40 (fixed)

t = Delta Q / k. I need to find t.

k can be floating so I suppose 0 to 10 minutes with 0.5 increments

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have MATLAB on me at the moment, but I think I should just set a loop for k, nest the expression for t and the plot a k vs t curve.

Does that sound right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the delta Q a fixed constant or does it depend on k or t?

jedishrfu said:
Is the delta Q a fixed constant or does it depend on k or t?
Delta Q is a fixed variable and rather k, t depend on it as they are floating variables.

MATLAB is a bit different from python in that its arrays aren't indexable. Say x = [1,2,3,4,5], I can't use x[0] = 1, x[3] = 4, etc.

1. What is MATLAB modelling?

MATLAB modelling is the process of creating mathematical models and simulations using MATLAB software. It involves using algorithms and equations to represent real-world systems or phenomena.

2. What are the benefits of using MATLAB for modelling?

MATLAB is a powerful and versatile software that offers several advantages for modelling, including a user-friendly interface, a wide range of built-in functions and tools, and the ability to visualize and analyze data easily.

3. Can MATLAB be used for different types of modelling?

Yes, MATLAB can be used for various types of modelling, including mathematical modelling, statistical modelling, and simulation modelling. It also has specific toolboxes for specific types of modelling, such as control systems or image processing.

4. What are some examples of real-world applications of MATLAB modelling?

MATLAB modelling has been used in various fields, including engineering, finance, biology, and physics. Some examples include designing aircrafts, predicting stock market trends, analyzing biological systems, and simulating physical phenomena.

5. Is MATLAB modelling suitable for beginners?

While MATLAB can be challenging to learn for beginners, it offers extensive documentation and resources to help users get started. Additionally, there are many online tutorials and courses available to help beginners learn MATLAB modelling.