Thermodynamics - temperature, pressure and heat

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of an ideal monatomic gas from an initial state to a final state along a straight line on a PV diagram, with given values for pressure and volume. The equation for the line is provided, and the conversation covers the calculation of temperature as a function of volume, the maximum volume for a given temperature, and the values of temperature at different points along the line. The conversation then moves on to calculating the heat transferred during the process and determining the maximum values of pressure and volume for which heat transfer is at its highest. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the first law of thermodynamics and potential equations for temperature and heat transfer.
BobaJ

Homework Statement

The initial state of 0.1 mol of an ideal monatomic gas is P0=32 Pa and v0=8m3. The final state is P1=1 Pa and V1=64m3. Suppose that the gas undergoes a process along a straight line joining these two states with an equation P=aV+b, where a =31/56 and b=255/7. Plot this straight line to scale on a PV diagram.
Calculate:
a) Temperature T as a function of V along the straight line.
b) The value of V which T is a maximum.
c) The values of T0, Tmax and T1.
d) The heat Q transferred from te Volume V0 to any other volume V along the straight line.
e) The values of P and V at which Q is a maximum.
f) The heat transferred along the line from V0 to V when Q is a maximum.
g) The heat transferred from V at maximum Q to V1.

Homework Equations

It's a monatomic gas, so γ=5/3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already solved a), b) and c).

a) $$T=\frac{1}{nR}*(aV^2+b)$$
b) Take the first derivate of the last result and equal it to 0 $$V=32.9 m^3$$
c) Just insert the desires values of V in the equation for T:
$$T_{0}=307.9 K$$
$$T_{max} = 720.8 K$$
$$T_{1} = 76.97 K$$

So, now I'm stuck on point d). For a moment I thought I could just take $$Q = \int^V_{V_{0}} P dV $$ and insert the given equation for P. But I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
BobaJ said:

Homework Statement

The initial state of 0.1 mol of an ideal monatomic gas is P0=32 Pa and v0=8m3. The final state is P1=1 Pa and V1=64m3. Suppose that the gas undergoes a process along a straight line joining these two states with an equation P=aV+b, where a =31/56 and b=255/7. Plot this straight line to scale on a PV diagram.
Calculate:
d) The heat Q transferred from te Volume V0 to any other volume V along the straight line.

Homework Equations

$$T_{0}=307.9 K$$
$$T_{max} = 720.8 K$$
$$T_{1} = 76.97 K$$

So, now I'm stuck on point d). For a moment I thought I could just take $$Q = \int^V_{V_{0}} P dV $$ and insert the given equation for P. But I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help.
What is your rationale for that last equation?

Chestermiller said:
What is your rationale for that last equation?
Well, honestly I thought I could use it, because it relates the variables that I need, but I can't really justify it.

BobaJ said:
Well, honestly I thought I could use it, because it relates the variables that I need, but I can't really justify it.
Just a wild guess: You're currently learning about the 1st law of thermodynamics, correct. If so, please write down your equation for the 1st law of thermodynamics.

BobaJ said:

Homework Statement

Calculate:

Homework Equations

Shouldn't this equation read: $$T=\frac{V(aV+b)}{nR}$$

BobaJ said:

Homework Statement

Calculate:

Homework Equations

$$T_{0}=307.9 K$$
$$T_{max} = 720.8 K$$
$$T_{1} = 76.97 K$$

Thanks for your help.
The parameter a should be -31/56, not +31/56. On physics problems, the hard part is the physics, and the simple part is supposed to be the math. The math should be a gimme. You can't get thermodynamics problems correct if you mess up on the math.

Chestermiller said:
Shouldn't this equation read: $$T=\frac{V(aV+b)}{nR}$$
Chestermiller said:
The parameter a should be -31/56, not +31/56. On physics problems, the hard part is the physics, and the simple part is supposed to be the math. The math should be a gimme. You can't get thermodynamics problems correct if you mess up on the math.
Yes, you are absolutely right, both where typing mistakes I made. I'm sorry.

The first law of thermodynamics would be: $$dU=dQ+dW$$

BobaJ said:
Yes, you are absolutely right, both where typing mistakes I made. I'm sorry.

The first law of thermodynamics would be: $$dU=dQ+dW$$
So, dW is the work done by the surroundings on the system: dW=-PdV, right? For an ideal monatomic gas, what is the equation for dU in terms of dT? Do you see what you omitted from your analysis now?

ok, so we would have $$dU=dQ-P dV$$, so $$dQ = dU +P dV$$.
And if I'm not wrong $$dU = C_{V}dT$$. Substituting that would give:
$$dQ=C_{V}dT+PdV$$
So, basically I omitted the part of Cv dT.
Is that right?

BobaJ said:
ok, so we would have $$dU=dQ-P dV$$, so $$dQ = dU +P dV$$.
And if I'm not wrong $$dU = C_{V}dT$$. Substituting that would give:
$$dQ=C_{V}dT+PdV$$
So, basically I omitted the part of Cv dT.
Is that right?
Very nice. But don't forget the n in ##dU=nC_vdT##. So now, using your equation for T vs V, what is dT in terms of dV, and what is dU? Then, what is dQ in terms of dV?

Chestermiller said:
Very nice. But don't forget the n in ##dU=nC_vdT##. So now, using your equation for T vs V, what is dT in terms of dV, and what is dU? Then, what is dQ in terms of dV?

Using the result of a): $$dT=\frac{2aV+b}{nR} dV$$ and P=aV+b
As we are working with a monatomic gas: Cv=3/2R.

Putting this into the equation for dQ:
$$dQ=\frac{3}{2}(2aV+b)+(aV+b) dV$$
So,
$$dQ=(4aV+\frac{5}{2}b) dV$$

Am I correct up to this point?

After this, we would have to integrate. But do I have to integrate from V0 to V?

BobaJ said:
Using the result of a): $$dT=\frac{2aV+b}{nR} dV$$ and P=aV+b
As we are working with a monatomic gas: Cv=3/2R.

Putting this into the equation for dQ:
$$dQ=\frac{3}{2}(2aV+b)+(aV+b) dV$$
So,
$$dQ=(4aV+\frac{5}{2}b) dV$$

Am I correct up to this point?
Yes.
After this, we would have to integrate. But do I have to integrate from V0 to V?
Yes. That would give you the answer to part (d).

Now, for part (e), at what value of V is Q maximum?

What is the difference between temperature and heat?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while heat is the transfer of energy from a hotter object to a cooler object. In other words, temperature is a measurement, while heat is a form of energy.

How does pressure affect temperature?

According to the ideal gas law, pressure and temperature are directly proportional. This means that as pressure increases, temperature also increases. However, this relationship may not hold true in all situations, as other factors such as volume and type of gas can also influence temperature.

What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a fluid, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure, on the other hand, is the difference between absolute pressure and atmospheric pressure. This means that gauge pressure does not take into account the pressure exerted by the atmosphere.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant, and any change in energy can be accounted for by heat transfer, work done, or internal energy change.

How is temperature measured?

Temperature can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as thermometers, thermocouples, and infrared cameras. The most common unit of measurement for temperature is degrees Celsius, although other units such as Fahrenheit and Kelvin are also used.