How can I prove factorial equations involving difficult questions b and c?

In summary, the writer seems to be requesting a proof that the sum of two integers is the same as the sum of the two integers multiplied by the integer after the sum.
tesha
Member warned about posting without the template and work shown only in an image
number 15 questions b and c are giving me a very hard time. I have tried expanding them then factoring out the common terms but somehow not getting it to be proven. detailed help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 12074849_10153620564622836_78720879029831819_n.jpg
    12074849_10153620564622836_78720879029831819_n.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think factoring is the right answer.
Are you sure that (b) is written correctly? n choose k is equal to n choose (n-k) normally, so I don't see how the sum could be.

For (c), try writing it out and rearranging.

##\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!} + \frac{n!}{(k-1)!(n-(k-1))!}##
And you want this to be equal to:
##\frac{n+1!}{k!((n+1)-k)!}##

**edit** You should try to make a common denominator to add the fractions. If you do this carefully and correctly, the right answer pops right out.

RUber said:
I don't think factoring is the right answer.
Are you sure that (b) is written correctly? n choose k is equal to n choose (n-k) normally, so I don't see how the sum could be.

For (c), try writing it out and rearranging.

##\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!} + \frac{n!}{(k-1)!(n-(k-1))!}##
And you want this to be equal to:
##\frac{n+1!}{k!((n+1)-k)!}##

**edit** You should try to make a common denominator to add the fractions. If you do this carefully and correctly, the right answer pops right out.
yes b) is written correctly

Just to be sure,
(b) says: Show that n choose k + n choose (k-1) = n choose (n-k) ?
That is straight wrong.
n choose k = n choose (n-k). This is clear from the formula factorial representation.
And n choose k + n choose (k-1) = (n+1) choose k, as in (c).

tesha said:

I haven't read your question (since I don't read attachments), but I assume from what RUber has written that you want to show ##{}_nC_k + {}_nC_{k-1} = {}_nC_{n-k}##. As RUber has indicated, that is wrong. Try it for yourself: set n = 4, k = 2 and see what happens.

The several-century-old Passcal triangle formula says that ##{}_n C _k + {n}C_{k-1} = {}_{n+1} C _k##. Again, post #2# shows you one way you can do it; another way is to start from ##(1+x)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n {}_nC_k x^k##, then write ##(1+x)^{n+1}## in two ways: one way is to use the previous expansion with ##n+1## in place of ##n##, and the other is to write it as ##(1+x) (1+x)^n##, use the expansion for the second factor, then gather together powers of ##x##.

tesha said:
From the text before and after b) in the attachment, it is very clear to me that b) ought to read "show that nCk=nCn-k."

I wonder if @tesha is still working on this.
If so, then I am sure the correction haruspex suggests will help. That interpretation for (b) will also be reinforced by (d), which looks to be a direct application of that rule.

1. What is a factorial equation?

A factorial equation is a mathematical expression that involves calculating the product of a given number and all the positive integers below it.

2. How do you prove a factorial equation?

To prove a factorial equation, you need to use mathematical induction. This involves showing that the equation holds true for the base case (usually n = 1) and then assuming it holds true for n = k and proving that it also holds true for n = k+1.

3. What is the significance of proving factorial equations?

Proving factorial equations is important because it helps establish the validity of mathematical concepts and theories. It also allows us to make predictions and solve problems in various fields such as statistics, probability, and computer science.

4. Are there any common mistakes when proving factorial equations?

Yes, some common mistakes when proving factorial equations include assuming that the equation holds true for all values of n without actually proving it, and not properly showing the base case or the induction step.

5. Can factorial equations be proven using other methods?

Yes, factorial equations can also be proven using combinatorial arguments, which involve counting the number of ways a particular situation can occur. This method is often used in probability and statistics.