How can I prove the properties of points in a Cantor set?

In summary: That is because every number in A_n is the endpoint of at least one interval in A_n+1.So the Cantor set is the set of all numbers between 0 and 1 whose base 3 representation does not contain any "1" in its base three representation. Now look at intervals around a number "x" in that set.You could also think about endpoints. Did you notice all of the endpoints of the intervals in A_n are also in A_n+1? That is because every number in A_n is the endpoint of at least one interval in A_n+1.
sazanda

Homework Statement

Let C be a Cantor set and let x in C be given
prove that
a) Every neighborhood of x contains points in C, different from x.
b) Every neighborhood of x contains points not in C

Homework Equations

How can I start to prove?

The Attempt at a Solution

n/a

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual way would be to think about what the Cantor set means in terms of an expansion in base 3, i.e. ternary.

Dick said:
The usual way would be to think about what the Cantor set means in terms of an expansion in base 3, i.e. ternary.

I need some kind of initiation. Prof. had just defined the Cantor set and assigned this problem.
I do not have more info about this. I looked the internet they are little bit complicated.

Okay, what definition did your teacher give you? And are you talking about a Cantor set or the Cantor set?

a cantor set

Okay, but once again, what definition of "Cantor set" are you using?

HallsofIvy said:
Okay, but once again, what definition of "Cantor set" are you using?

A1={[0,1/3],[2/3,1]}
A2={[0,1/9],[2/9,3/9],[6/9,7/9],[8/9,9/9]}
:
:
:

intersection of all Ai is the Cantor set.

This is definition that Prof. defined.

sazanda said:
A1={[0,1/3],[2/3,1]}
:
:
:

The hint in post 2 remains valid. You might also think about what the measure (length) of the Cantor set might be.

sazanda said:
A1={[0,1/3],[2/3,1]}
Do you see that, in base 3 notation, every number in [0, 1/3] starts "0.0..." and every number in [2/3, 1] starts "0.2..". That is, A1 contains all real numbers between 0 and 1 whose base 3 representation does NOT have a "1" in the first place.

Do you see that, again in base 3 notation, every number in [0, 1/9] starts 0.00..., every number in [2/9, 3/9] starts 0.02..., every number in [6/9, 7/9] starts 0.20..., and every number in [8/9, 1] starts 0.22... That is, A2 contains all real numbers between 0 and 1 whose base 3 representation does NOT have a "1" in the first two places.

:
:
:

Ai is the set of all numbers between 0 and 1 whose base three representation does not have a "1" in the first i places.

So the Cantor set is the set of all numbers between 0 and 1 whose base 3 representation does not contain any "1" in its base three representation. Now look at intervals around a number "x" in that set.

You could also think about endpoints. Did you notice all of the endpoints of the intervals in A_n are also in A_n+1?

What is a Cantor set?

A Cantor set is a set of points on a line that is created by removing the middle third of a line segment, and then repeating this process on the remaining line segments infinitely. This results in a set of points that is non-differentiable and has a fractal-like structure.

How is a Cantor set different from a regular line or interval?

A Cantor set is different from a regular line or interval because it is created through an infinite process of removing middle thirds, resulting in an infinite number of line segments with different lengths. This gives the Cantor set a self-similar and non-differentiable structure.

What are some real-world applications of Cantor sets?

Cantor sets have been used in various fields such as computer graphics, signal processing, and number theory. They have also been used to model natural phenomena such as the coastline of a country or the distribution of particles in a gas.

What are some properties of Cantor sets?

Cantor sets have several interesting properties, including being uncountable, perfect, and nowhere dense. They also have a measure of zero, meaning they have no length, area, or volume.

How does the Cantor ternary set differ from the Cantor middle thirds set?

The Cantor ternary set is similar to the Cantor middle thirds set, but instead of removing the middle third of each line segment, it removes the middle third of each remaining line segment. This results in a set with a different structure, but still with similar properties as the Cantor middle thirds set.