Verification that ZxZ has no cluster points in RxR

• Thread starter MidgetDwarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof by contradiction that shows that ℤxℤ has no cluster points. The proof involves assuming that every point in ℤxℤ is a cluster point, then using an open ball with radius less than 1 centered at (0,0) to show a contradiction. This proves that the statement is false and therefore the original statement, that ℤxℤ has no cluster points, is true. The conversation also clarifies the use of "wlog" and the general process for proving a statement is false.
MidgetDwarf
Homework Statement
ℤxℤ ⊆ ℝ^2 has no cluster points.
Relevant Equations
Definition of neighborhood: If x∈R^n , then any set which contains an open set containing x is called a neighborhood of x in R^n.

Definition of cluster point : x∈R^n is said to be a cluster point of a set A (or a point of accumulation of A) in case every neighborhood of x contains at least one point of A distinct from x.

A set N is a neighborhood of a point x iff there exist an open ball with center x contained in N.
proof:

Assume instead that every point of ℤxℤ is a cluster point. Note that (0,0)∈ℤxℤ. So by assumption, (0,0) is a cluster point of ℤxℤ. ⇒ every neighborhood of (0,0) contains at least one point ℤxℤ different from (0,0).

Consider the open ball with center (0,0) and r =1/2, denoted by A. We know that open balls are open sets ( I proved this before), so A is a neighborhood of (0,0). But A\{(0,0)} ℤxℤ = . A contradiction.

Therefore, ℤxℤ has no cluster points.

Q.E.D

Not sure if my proof is correct. Moreover, since a set is a subset of itself, and we know that open balls are open sets. Does it follow that an open ball centered at x with radius r is a neighborhood of x? I believe it is, but a part of me is uncertain.

Physics news on Phys.org
MidgetDwarf said:
proof:

Assume instead that every point of ℤxℤ is a cluster point. Note that (0,0)∈ℤxℤ. So by assumption, (0,0) is a cluster point of ℤxℤ. ⇒ every neighborhood of (0,0) contains at least one point ℤxℤ different from (0,0).

Consider the open ball with center (0,0) and r =1/2, denoted by A. We know that open balls are open sets ( I proved this before), so A is a neighborhood of (0,0). But A\{(0,0)} ℤxℤ = . A contradiction.

Therefore, ℤxℤ has no cluster points.
Looks good to me. You can without loss of generality (wlog) work with the point (0,0). The proof will hold for every other lattice point in Z x Z.
You chose r = 1/2, but if you take any r such that r < 1, then no open neighborhood of (0, 0) of radius r will contain another lattice point.

Last edited:
Likes MidgetDwarf
Ahhh. Thank you for that. Yes, r<1 works. Just for clarification. Should I add the part where you said wlog to my proof? So In general when I am trying to prove either a statement is true or false, say I know that its false. We proceed by contraction, and assume its true for all element in the set. Then we pick one element, and show that it leads to a contradiction. Which proves that the original statement was false?

MidgetDwarf said:
Just for clarification. Should I add the part where you said wlog to my proof?
"wlog" is a fairly commonly used acronym. If you add that, it says that although you're dealing only with one specific case, you could have picked any case, not just the point (0, 0) in your problem.
MidgetDwarf said:
So In general when I am trying to prove either a statement is true or false, say I know that its false. We proceed by contraction, and assume its true for all element in the set. Then we pick one element, and show that it leads to a contradiction. Which proves that the original statement was false?
In a proof by contradiction, you're assuming the opposite conclusion, then you look for a counterexample. In your problem, the contradictory statement is that every point in Z x Z has a cluster point. If you can show that for one particular point, say (0, 0), there is not cluster point, then you have contradicted the statement you assumed was true. Therefore that assumption must be false, so the original statement must be true. Is that clear?

1. What is the definition of a cluster point?

A cluster point, also known as a limit point, is a point in a set where every neighborhood of the point contains infinitely many points of the set.

2. Why is it important to verify that ZxZ has no cluster points in RxR?

It is important to verify this because it helps us understand the topological properties of the set ZxZ, which is the Cartesian product of the set of integers with itself. This information can be useful in various mathematical proofs and applications.

3. How can we prove that ZxZ has no cluster points in RxR?

We can prove this by contradiction. Assume that there exists a point (a,b) in ZxZ that is a cluster point in RxR. This means that every neighborhood of (a,b) contains infinitely many points of ZxZ. However, since ZxZ is a discrete set, there exists a neighborhood of (a,b) that contains only a finite number of points of ZxZ, leading to a contradiction.

4. Can we generalize this result to other Cartesian products?

Yes, we can generalize this result to any Cartesian product of two discrete sets. This is because the proof relies on the fact that a discrete set has no limit points.

5. How does this result relate to the concept of isolated points?

This result is closely related to the concept of isolated points, which are points in a set that have a neighborhood containing only that point. In the case of ZxZ, every point is an isolated point, which means that there are no cluster points in the set.