How can I prove this discrete signal is periodic?

In summary, the homework statement is that to prove the discreet signal is periodic, you need to find an equation that states that x[n] = x[n+N] for all even values of n, and also for all odd values of n.
Boltzman Oscillation

Homework Statement

Prove the discreet signal is periodic:

questionsign.png

Homework Equations

for periodic funtions: x[n] = x[n + N]

The Attempt at a Solution

I made an equality (im going to leave the sigma out for simplicity):

2^(-abs(n-2m)) = 2^(-abs(n+N-2m))
I don't know what I need to do from here. The absolute value throws me off, I don't know what to do with it. My guess would be that the only thing that matters is what is inside the abs since everything else is the same so I really only need for the follwing to be true:

abs(n-2m) = abs(n+N-2m)..........(1)
but then N = 0

I guess I could make N = (-2n +4m) since using this in equation (1) will get me:

abs(n-2m) = abs(-n+2m) = abs(-(n-2m)) which is true. Then N can equal (-2n + 4m). Now doesn't N have to be independent of n? Did I do this right? I sort of started getting the idea as I went along here so sorry if I solved it.

Attachments

• questionsign.png
    questionsign.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 582
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you work out a few ##x(n)## to get a feeling for what this is about ? big N pops up in no time at all !

BvU said:
Why don't you work out a few ##x(n)## to get a feeling for what this is about ? big N pops up in no time at all !
I understand what you mean but I am not a big fan of this brute force method :( is this really the best way?

If you don't see an alternative ...

I note that you ran into trouble with your approach, so at least one of the choices you made was not such a good idea. My bet is that leaving out the summation is the one :rolleyes:

And I wouldn't call it a brute force method. More: orientation phase.
Who knows you don't even have to do the complete working out :rolleyes:

BvU said:
And I wouldn't call it a brute force method. More: orientation phase
Well I try but I just don't understand this summation, maybe you can help me understand:

x[1] = Σ2^(-2m)
x[2] = ∑2^(-abs(1-2m))
x[3] = ∑2^(-abs(2-2m))
x[4] = ∑2^(-abs(3-2m))
x[5] = ∑2^(-abs(4-2m))

I don't even work with sums so I am totally confused.

Boltzman Oscillation said:
dont even work with sums
Well, there is a first time for everything ... :cool:

And I venture to assume that you do know ##\sum 2^{-|m|}## ?

Fortunately you will accept that a sum yields the same result if all the terms are exactly the same, so we can reduce your problem to showing that that indeed is the case for a certain big N

rings a bell ? :rolleyes:

BvU said:
Well, there is a first time for everything ... :cool:

And I venture to assume that you do know ##\sum 2^{-|m|}## ?

Fortunately you will accept that a sum yields the same result if all the terms are exactly the same, so we can reduce your problem to showing that that indeed is the case for a certain big N

rings a bell ? :rolleyes:

I agree with you on "a sum yields the same result if all the terms are exactly the same" but I am not familiar with that sum. No bells have been rung sir. It is over for me.

but let me try reasoning
at x[0] = ∑2^-abs(-2m) I can get numbers 2^0 + 2^(-2) + 2^(-4) + 2^(-6)+ ... + 2^(-2n) where n = 0,1,2,3,4,5...
at x[1] = ∑2^(-abs(1-2m)) i can get the following: 2^-1 + 2^-3 + 2^-5 + ... +2^(-(2n+1)) where n = 0,1,2,3,4...
at x[2] = ∑2^(-abs(2(1-m)) i can get: 2^(-2) + 2^(0) + 2^(-2) + 2^(-6)

hmm it looks like x[2] is just a shifted form of x[0], then x[0] at m = -1 should equal to 2^(-2)
errrr it equals 2^(-2). So ima go ahead and goes that N = 2 since x[0] = x[2] = x[0 + 2]. The fundamental period is 2. Man integrals are so much easier. Is there a faster way of doing this?

Boltzman Oscillation said:
Is there a faster way of doing this?
Yes: you conclude that the exponents go through the same set of values for all even ##n## and also through a same set of values (but different from the even one) for all odd ##n##. Here's a picture of |n-2m| as a function of ##m## for a few values of ##n##
upload_2019-2-27_17-27-56.png

There are only two distinct sets of values if ##m## runs from ##-\infty## to ##+\infty##

Furthermore you should know that ## 1+ {1\over 2} + {1\over 4} + {1\over 8} + {1\over 16} + {1\over 32} + ... = 2##

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-27_17-27-56.png
    upload_2019-2-27_17-27-56.png
    12 KB · Views: 401

1. How do I determine if a discrete signal is periodic?

The easiest way to determine if a discrete signal is periodic is to plot the signal and see if it repeats itself at regular intervals. If the signal repeats itself, it is periodic.

2. Can I use mathematical equations to prove a discrete signal is periodic?

Yes, you can use mathematical equations such as Fourier series or the Discrete Fourier Transform to analyze the signal and determine if it is periodic. These methods involve breaking down the signal into its component frequencies and looking for patterns that indicate periodicity.

3. What is the difference between a periodic and non-periodic signal?

A periodic signal repeats itself at regular intervals, while a non-periodic signal does not have any repeating patterns. A periodic signal can be described by a mathematical equation, while a non-periodic signal cannot.

4. How can I prove a discrete signal is periodic using experimental data?

If you have experimental data of a discrete signal, you can use the autocorrelation function to determine if the signal is periodic. The autocorrelation function measures the similarity between a signal and a delayed version of itself, and a periodic signal will have a distinct peak at the period of the signal.

5. Can a discrete signal be periodic in one domain but not in another?

Yes, a discrete signal can be periodic in one domain but not in another. For example, a signal may appear to be periodic in the time domain, but when analyzed in the frequency domain, it may have a continuous spectrum without any distinct peaks. It is important to analyze the signal in both domains to fully understand its periodicity.