Maintaining the integrity of an analog signal

In summary: The DC signal is from an encoder, so I'm only measuring the DC pulses on the digital pins of the Arduino. I haven't made the cable yet, so I will combine the digital and analog signals as planned, and see what happens. If I do get interference, would shielding on the cable help? If so, where should I terminate the shield? As far as I understand, shields are terminated at a ground terminal, but the Arduino isn't connected to ground. Should I terminate it to a 0V on the analog inputs?
van4
Hi,

I am measuring an analog voltage with an Arduino analog in. The analog voltage comes from a cable which also contains digital signal wires. Do I need to separate the analog and digital signals using separate cables? If so, does the analog voltage signal cable need shielding? And if so, how do I ground the shield?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
van4 said:
Hi,

I am measuring an analog voltage with an Arduino analog in. The analog voltage comes from a cable which also contains digital signal wires. Do I need to separate the analog and digital signals using separate cables? If so, does the analog voltage signal cable need shielding? And if so, how do I ground the shield?

Thanks

You only need to shield or separate the analog and digital signals if you are having problems with crosstalk. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Are you doing DC measurements with the analog or AC? If AC, look at an FFT and see if the peaks at the digital clock frequency and its harmonics are high enough to cause you problems. If not, don't worry about it.

Likes berkeman and Averagesupernova
analogdesign said:
You only need to shield or separate the analog and digital signals if you are having problems with crosstalk. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Are you doing DC measurements with the analog or AC? If AC, look at an FFT and see if the peaks at the digital clock frequency and its harmonics are high enough to cause you problems. If not, don't worry about it.

Ok, thanks for your advice.

The DC signal is from an encoder, so I'm only measuring the DC pulses on the digital pins of the Arduino. I haven't made the cable yet, so I will combine the digital and analog signals as planned, and see what happens. If I do get interference, would shielding on the cable help? If so, where should I terminate the shield? As far as I understand, shields are terminated at a ground terminal, but the Arduino isn't connected to ground. Should I terminate it to a 0V on the analog inputs?

1. What is an analog signal?

An analog signal is a continuous electrical signal that varies in amplitude or frequency over time. It is used to transmit information such as audio, video, and sensor data.

2. How is the integrity of an analog signal maintained?

The integrity of an analog signal is maintained by minimizing any interference or distortion that may occur during transmission. This can be achieved through proper shielding, using high-quality cables, and ensuring proper grounding.

3. What are some common sources of interference for analog signals?

Common sources of interference for analog signals include electromagnetic interference (EMI) from nearby electronics, crosstalk from other cables, and noise from power sources.

4. How can signal integrity be tested and measured?

Signal integrity can be tested and measured using specialized equipment such as oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers. These tools can analyze the characteristics of the signal and identify any distortion or interference.

5. Why is maintaining the integrity of an analog signal important?

Maintaining the integrity of an analog signal is important to ensure accurate and reliable transmission of data. Any interference or distortion can result in the loss of information and affect the quality of the signal, leading to errors or loss of functionality.