Use Circuit reduction, voltage and current divider to find i

In summary: Series is when the voltages are arranged in a line from the highest voltage to the lowest voltage. Parallel is when the voltages are arranged side by side. Series is when the voltages are arranged in a line from the highest voltage to the lowest voltage. Parallel is when the voltages are arranged side by side.
Neon32
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

in the solution sheet, He took the 18 ohms parallel with the 9 ohms and not the 6 ohms. I don't understand why he took this approach. I was going to take 18 ohms parallel with the 6 ohms and find their equivalent resistance then I'll take the result in series with the 9 ohms and find the total resistance of the whole circuit.

https://imgur.com/a/b9UPe

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Neon32 said:
in the solution sheet, He took the 18 ohms parallel with the 9 ohms and not the 6 ohms. I don't understand why he took this approach. I was going to take 18 ohms parallel with the 6 ohms and find their equivalent resistance then I'll take the result in series with the 9 ohms and find the total resistance of the whole circuit.
This looks like homework
more background on the problem would be helpful ... diagrams etc

davenn said:
This looks like homework
more background on the problem would be helpful ... diagrams etc
Yes I'm uploading it. give me one minute

Neon32 said:
Yes I'm uploading it. give me one minute

OK and you should be posting in the homework section and use the correct template

davenn said:
OK and you should be posting in the homework section and use the correct template
it isn't a homework though.

it's much preferable to post images in the thread
so they can be referred to easily :smile:

UkKWncb.jpg

Attachments

• UkKWncb.jpg
    UkKWncb.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 347
Neon32 said:
He took the 18 ohms parallel with the 9 ohms and not the 6 ohms.
I don't see those on the diagram

davenn said:
I don't see those on the diagram

if you take a close look, you would see he took 18 parallel with 9 ohms and found their equivalent resistance.

Neon32 said:
if you take a close look, you would see he took 18 parallel with 9 ohms and found their equivalent resistance.

I assume you are referring to the 3rd diagram ?

also' you are misreading

18k = 18,000 Ohms not 18 Ohms
and
9k = 9,000 Ohms not 9 Ohms

OK now that we have that sorted out :smile:

Neon32 said:
and found their equivalent resistance.

yes that's correct and the resulting value will be in series with the 6k Ohms resistor

Neon32 said:

but the 18k isn't in parallel with the 6k so your reasoning is incorrect
can you see why it isn't ?Dave

davenn said:
I assume you are referring to the 3rd diagram ?

also' you are misreading

18k = 18,000 Ohms not 18 Ohms
and
9k = 9,000 Ohms not 9 Ohms

OK now that we have that sorted out :smile:
yes that's correct and the resulting value will be in series with the 6k Ohms resistor
but the 18k isn't in parallel with the 6k so your reasoning is incorrect
can you see why it isn't ?Dave

no i don't know why it isn't.

Neon32 said:
Are the voltages across 18k, 9k and 6k equal?

Neon32 said:

do you know the difference between series and parallel ?

which do you think it is and why ?

1. What is circuit reduction?

Circuit reduction is a technique used to simplify complex circuits into smaller, equivalent circuits. It involves replacing multiple components with a single equivalent component that has the same overall effect on the circuit.

2. How do I use circuit reduction to find current and voltage?

To use circuit reduction to find current and voltage, you first need to simplify the circuit by replacing multiple components with equivalent ones. Then, you can use Ohm’s Law (V=IR) to calculate the voltage and current at specific points in the circuit.

3. What is a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is a circuit that divides a voltage into smaller parts. It is typically made up of two resistors in series, and the voltage across each resistor is proportional to its resistance value.

4. How does a voltage divider work?

A voltage divider works by dividing the input voltage into smaller parts based on the ratio of the two resistors in the circuit. The output voltage can be calculated using the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage and R1 and R2 are the resistances of the two resistors.

5. What is a current divider?

A current divider is a circuit that divides a current into smaller parts. It is typically made up of two resistors in parallel, and the current through each resistor is proportional to its conductance value.