How can I solve a system of BVPs with only boundary conditions given?

In summary, In this conversation, the author has system of BVPs. They would like to solve the system numerically or analytically. The author suggests converting x and y to polar coordinates and solving the equations.
amr07
Dear all,

I have system(4 equations) of BVPs. Could anybody recommend me, how to solve this system(whatever numericaly or analytical):

x'=-y/sqrt(x^2+y^2) + u
y'=x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) + v
u' = -xy/(x^2+y^2)^3/2 u - [1/sqrt(x^2+y^2) - x^2 /(x^2+y^2)^3/2] v
v' = xy/(x^2+y^2)^3/2 v - [-1/sqrt(x^2+y^2) + y^2 /(x^2+y^2)^3/2] u

and we have only boundary condations for x and y...x(0)=y(0)=-1, x(pi/2)=y(pi/2)=1

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With all those "[itex]x^2+ y^2[/itex]" in there, the first thing I would try is to convert x and y to polar coordinates: [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]x^2+ y^2= r^2[/itex], [itex]x'= r' cos(\theta)- r sin(\theta)\theta'[/itex], and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]y'= r' sin(\theta)+ r cos(\theta)\theta'[/itex].
Your first equation becomes [itex]r' cos(\theta)- r sin(\theta)\theta'= - sin(\theta)+ u[/itex] and your second equation [itex]r' sin(\theta)+ r cos(\theta)\theta'= cos(\theta)+ v[/itex]. If you multiply the first equation by [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] and the second by [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] and add you get [itex]r'= u cos(\theta)+ v\sin(\theta)[/itex]. If you multiply the first equation by [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex], the second by [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] and subtract first from second you get [itex]r \theta'= 1+ v cos(\theta)- u sin(\theta)[/itex].

Of course, the third and fourth equations become
[tex]u'= -\fra{1}{r}sin(\theta)cos(\theta)u- \left[1- cos^2(\theta)\right]\frac{v}{r}[/tex]
and
[tex]v'= \frac{1}{r}sin(\theta)cos(\theta)u+ \left[1+ sin^2(\theta)\right]\frac{u}{r}[/tex]

thanks

HallsofIvy said:
With all those "[itex]x^2+ y^2[/itex]" in there, the first thing I would try is to convert x and y to polar coordinates: [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]x^2+ y^2= r^2[/itex], [itex]x'= r' cos(\theta)- r sin(\theta)\theta'[/itex], and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]y'= r' sin(\theta)+ r cos(\theta)\theta'[/itex].
Your first equation becomes [itex]r' cos(\theta)- r sin(\theta)\theta'= - sin(\theta)+ u[/itex] and your second equation [itex]r' sin(\theta)+ r cos(\theta)\theta'= cos(\theta)+ v[/itex]. If you multiply the first equation by [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] and the second by [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] and add you get [itex]r'= u cos(\theta)+ v\sin(\theta)[/itex]. If you multiply the first equation by [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex], the second by [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] and subtract first from second you get [itex]r \theta'= 1+ v cos(\theta)- u sin(\theta)[/itex].

Of course, the third and fourth equations become
[tex]u'= -\fra{1}{r}sin(\theta)cos(\theta)u- \left[1- cos^2(\theta)\right]\frac{v}{r}[/tex]
and
[tex]v'= \frac{1}{r}sin(\theta)cos(\theta)u+ \left[1+ sin^2(\theta)\right]\frac{u}{r}[/tex]

Dear HallsofIvy,

many thanks for your helping. the second term in the fourth equation(for v') should be [1-sin^2]. so we have no also four differential equations. it seems easily but how i can get the solution?

thanks again

Related to How can I solve a system of BVPs with only boundary conditions given?

1. What is a boundary value problem?

A boundary value problem is a mathematical problem in which the solution is sought for a differential equation subject to specified boundary conditions. These conditions typically involve the values of the solution at certain points, rather than the values of its derivatives.

2. How is a boundary value problem different from an initial value problem?

A boundary value problem differs from an initial value problem in that the former involves finding a solution at specific boundary points, while the latter involves finding a solution at a single initial point and then determining its behavior over a given interval.

3. What are some real-world applications of boundary value problems?

Boundary value problems have many applications in science and engineering, including in heat transfer, fluid mechanics, quantum mechanics, and electrical circuits. They are also used in mathematical finance to model the behavior of stock prices and other financial instruments.

4. How do you solve a boundary value problem?

The solution to a boundary value problem can be obtained using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, Green's functions, and numerical methods. These methods involve manipulating the given differential equation and boundary conditions to find a solution that satisfies all the conditions.

5. What are some challenges associated with solving boundary value problems?

Boundary value problems can be challenging to solve because they often involve complex mathematical equations and require advanced analytical and numerical techniques. Additionally, finding an exact solution to a boundary value problem is not always possible, so approximations and numerical methods must be used.