How can I solve for the form of f in this integral equation with a>b?

In summary, the conversation discusses approaching a problem involving a differential equation for the function f numerically or analytically. Differentiation and the fundamental theorem of calculus can be used to obtain a differential equation for f and r. The FTC is also mentioned for integral expressions and the relationship between derivatives. The use of Leibnitz's rule is suggested for a term in the integral and the possibility of approximating the differential equation is discussed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to obtain a solution and back-substitute it into the original integral equation to check for accuracy.
DukeLuke
Any advice on how to approach a problem like this either numerically or analytically? I'm looking to find the form of f where b>a.[tex] \frac{1}{f(r)+1} = \int_r^b f(x) dx + \int_a^r \frac{x^2}{r^2}f(x)dx [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey DukeLuke.

The first suggestion would be to differentiate both sides and use the fundamental theorem of calculus to get everything in terms of f(x) and the other terms.

Once you get the differential equation for f and r, you can then at a minimum use numerical techniques to obtain an approximation,

For the LHS you can use standard quotient rules and collect terms and for integrals you use the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Have you come across the FTC for integral expressions and relationship between derivatives?

Thanks for the response. I'm confused about how to apply the FTC to the second integral. I'm not sure what
[tex] \frac{d}{dr} \int_a^r \frac{x^2}{r^2}f(x) dx [/tex]
is because it contains the [itex] x^2 [/itex] and [itex] r^2 [/itex] in the integrand. It seems like some sort of product rule for integration is needed (or integration by parts without knowing the form of the function). I think the other terms are

[tex] \frac{d}{dr} \int_r^b f(x) dx = -f(r) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{d}{dr} \frac{1}{f(r)+1} = \frac{-f^'(r)}{(f(r)+1)^2} [/tex]

DukeLuke said:
Thanks for the response. I'm confused about how to apply the FTC to the second integral. I'm not sure what
[tex] \frac{d}{dr} \int_a^r \frac{x^2}{r^2}f(x) dx [/tex]

You need to apply Leibnitz's rule to that:

[tex] \frac{d}{dr} \int_a^r \frac{x^2}{r^2}f(x) dx =f(r)+\int_a^r \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left(\frac{x^2}{r^2} f(x)\right)dx[/tex]

I don't think that's going to do it though guys assuming [itex]a\leq r\leq b[/itex].

If I apply the Liebniz rule to the term I'm having trouble with,

[tex] \frac{d}{dr} \int_a^r \frac{x^2}{r^2} f(x) dx = f(r) - 2 \int_a^r \frac{x^2}{r^3} f(x) dx [/tex]

The f(x) cancels with the other integral result of -f(x). If I differentiate one more time using the rule I think I'm left with,

[tex] \frac{d}{dr} \int_a^r \frac{ - 2x^2}{r^3} f(x) dx = -2\frac{f(r)}{r} +6 \int_a^r \frac{x^2}{r^4} f(x) dx [/tex]

In my case it's safe to assume that x and r are of the same order meaning that [itex]\frac{x^2}{r^4}[/itex] will be small. Do you think I can safely approximate the differential equation with

[tex] \frac{d}{dr} \frac{-f^'(r)}{(f(r)+1)^2} = -2\frac{f(r)}{r} [/tex]

Edit: just saw jackmell's post and yes a<r<b

Last edited:
DukeLuke said:
Do you think I can safely approximate the differential equation with

[tex] \frac{d}{dr} \frac{-f^'(r)}{(f(r)+1)^2} = -2\frac{f(r)}{r} [/tex]

Edit: just saw jackmell's post and yes a<r<b

I'm all about trying. I would try that, obtain a solution, any reasonable solution, then back-substitute it into the original integral equation and see how the left and right sides agree. If they agree reasonably well for my particular application, I would be satisfied.

DukeLuke said:
If I apply the Liebniz rule to the term I'm having trouble with,

[tex] \frac{d}{dr} \int_a^r \frac{x^2}{r^2} f(x) dx = f(r) - 2 \int_a^r \frac{x^2}{r^3} f(x) dx [/tex]

The f(x) cancels with the other integral result of -f(x). If I differentiate one more time using the rule...
Before doing that, you have:

[tex] \frac{1}{f(r)+1} = - 2 \int_a^r \frac{x^2}{r^3} f(x) dx [/tex]
[tex] \frac{r^3}{f(r)+1} = - 2\int_a^r x^2 f(x) dx [/tex]
What if you differentiate now?

Related to How can I solve for the form of f in this integral equation with a>b?

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function within an integral sign. It can be used to solve various physical and engineering problems.

2. What are the types of integral equations?

The two main types of integral equations are Volterra and Fredholm equations. Volterra equations have a fixed upper limit while Fredholm equations have a variable upper limit.

3. What are the applications of integral equations?

Integral equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving differential equations and boundary value problems.

4. How do you solve an integral equation?

The most common method for solving integral equations is by using numerical methods such as the collocation method or the Galerkin method. These methods involve discretizing the integral equation into a system of equations that can be solved using standard numerical techniques.

5. Are integral equations important in real-life applications?

Yes, integral equations have many real-life applications. They are used in modeling physical systems, predicting stock prices in economics, and solving problems in fluid mechanics and electromagnetics, among others.