How can I solve this summations math problem involving polynomials?

• Thread starter Big-Daddy
  • Start date
In summary, a summation is a mathematical expression denoted by "Σ" which represents the addition of a sequence of numbers. To solve a summation math problem, you need to identify the expression inside the symbol and use mathematical rules to simplify it. A series is the actual sum of the numbers, while a summation is the mathematical representation of the series. A summation can have an infinite number of terms, known as an infinite series, and is used in various real-life situations in fields such as physics, economics, and computer science.
Big-Daddy
[tex]kx^n = \sum_{j=1}^n ({(j-k)x^{n-j}d_j})[/tex]

dj is a constant but dependent on j, i.e. independent of x. k is an integer varying between n (which is also an integer) and 0 but it can be assumed that k can equal neither n nor 0.

Is there any way of solving this generally for x? Or is a polynomial the best I can do?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are in fact asking for exact ways of solving polynomial equations.As far as I know,there is no general formula encompassing polynomials of any degree.Take a look at here.

Related to How can I solve this summations math problem involving polynomials?

1. What is a summation in math?

A summation is a mathematical expression that represents the addition of a sequence of numbers. It is denoted by the symbol "Σ" and has a lower and upper limit, with the numbers in between being added together.

2. How do I solve a summation math problem?

To solve a summation math problem, you first need to identify the expression inside the summation symbol. Then, you can use mathematical rules and formulas to simplify the expression and find the sum of the sequence of numbers.

3. What is the difference between a series and a summation?

A series is the actual sum of the numbers in a sequence, while a summation is the mathematical representation or notation for the series. In other words, a series is the result of a summation.

4. Can a summation have an infinite number of terms?

Yes, a summation can have an infinite number of terms. This is known as an infinite series and requires special techniques, such as limits and convergence tests, to solve.

5. In what real-life situations would I use summations?

Summations are used in various fields such as physics, economics, and computer science to represent and solve problems involving a sequence of numbers. For example, calculating the total cost of multiple items, finding the displacement of an object over time, or determining the complexity of an algorithm.