How can I solve this without using integrating factor?

In summary, an integrating factor is a function used to solve certain types of differential equations, but it is not always necessary. Some people prefer to solve without using an integrating factor because it can be a more direct and intuitive approach. However, there are certain types of differential equations that require the use of an integrating factor. If a differential equation is in standard form, has constant coefficients, and is separable, it can usually be solved without using an integrating factor. Solving without an integrating factor can be more straightforward and intuitive, but it may not always be possible and may not be the most efficient approach for more complex equations.
ktklam9
Let the Wronskian between the functions f and g to be 3e[itex]^{4t}[/itex], if f(t) = e[itex]^{2t}[/itex], then what is g(t)?

So the Wronskian setup is pretty easy

W(t) = fg' - f'g = 3e[itex]^{4t}[/itex]

f = e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]
f' = 2e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]

So plugging it in I would get:

e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]g' - 2e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]g = 3e[itex]^{4t}[/itex]

Which results in

g' - 2g = 3e[itex]^{2t}[/itex]

How can I solve for g without using integrating factor? Is it even possible? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's always possible to solve "some other way" but often much more difficult.

This particular example, however, is a "linear equation with constant coefficients" which has a fairly simple solution method. Because it is linear, we can add two solutions to get a third so start by looking at g'- 2g= 0.

g'= 2g give dg/g= 2dt and, integrating ln(g)= 2t+ c. Taking the exponential of both sides, [itex]g(t)= e^{2t+ c}= e^{2t}e^c= Ce^{2t}[/itex] where C is defined as ec.

Now, we can use a method called "variation of parameters" because we allow that "C" in the previous solution to be a variable: let [itex]g= v(t)e^{2t}[/itex]. Then [itex]g'= v'(t)e^{2t}+ 2v(t)e^{2t}[/itex] so the equation becomes [itex]g'- 2g= v'(t)e^{2t}+ 2v(t)e^{2t}- 2v(t)e^{2t}= v'(t)e^{2t}= 3e^{2t}[/itex]. We can cancel the "[itex]e^{2t}[/itex]" terms to get [itex]v'(t)= 3[/itex] and, integrating, v(t)= 3t+ C. That gives the solution [itex]g(t)= v(t)e^{2t}= 3te^{2t}+ Ce^{2t}[/itex] where "C" can be any number.

Related to How can I solve this without using integrating factor?

What is an integrating factor and why would I want to solve without using it?

An integrating factor is a function that is used to solve certain types of differential equations. It is often used to simplify the process of solving a differential equation, but it is not always necessary. Some people prefer to solve without using an integrating factor because it can be a more direct and intuitive approach.

Can I always solve a differential equation without using an integrating factor?

No, there are certain types of differential equations that require the use of an integrating factor. These include equations that are not in standard form, equations with non-constant coefficients, and equations that are not separable.

How do I know when I can solve a differential equation without using an integrating factor?

If a differential equation is in standard form, has constant coefficients, and is separable, then it can usually be solved without using an integrating factor. However, it is always a good idea to try both approaches to see which one is simpler and more effective for a particular equation.

What are the benefits of solving a differential equation without an integrating factor?

Solving a differential equation without an integrating factor can be more straightforward and intuitive. It also allows for a better understanding of the underlying concepts and principles involved in solving differential equations.

Are there any disadvantages to solving without an integrating factor?

One potential disadvantage is that it may not always be possible to solve a differential equation without an integrating factor. In some cases, using an integrating factor may be necessary to find a solution. Additionally, solving without an integrating factor may not always be the most efficient approach, especially for more complex equations.