How can I tag a member on this forum?

• Thread starter andrewkirk
  • Start date
In summary: I didn't want to drag you into that.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the 'tag a member' feature on the forum, which involves typing the @ symbol followed by the screenname of the member. The conversation also mentions the lack of information about this feature in the Help sections and the possibility of including it in the future. It is also mentioned that one can receive alerts when tagged in a conversation or thread.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have noticed people using the 'tag a member' feature that involves the @ symbol. It looks useful, but I couldn't find any info in the Help sections about how to insert a tag, nor is there an icon in the toolbar that seems to do it.

Can someone tell me how one tags?

And would it be possible to include something in the Help sections about how to do that?

thank you

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
andrewkirk said:
I have noticed people using the 'tag a member' feature that involves the @ symbol. It looks useful, but I couldn't find any info in the Help sections about how to insert a tag, nor is there an icon in the toolbar that seems to do it.

And would it be possible to include something in the Help sections about how to do that?

thank you

Andrew
It works better with some browsers than others, but it's pretty easy: You type the @ sign into your post just like any other character, then follow it with the screenname of the member you want to tag. The forum software takes it from there.

andrewkirk said:

thank you

Andrew
You can just type the @ sign before the member's name. @andrewkirk

I see @Nugatory beat me to it. :biggrin:

andrewkirk said:
Thank you @Nugatory and @Evo.
Whoa, I was tagged! :biggrin:

andrewkirk said:
Thank you @Nugatory and @Evo.
Yep - that worked. Just got an alert that you had tagged me :)

Will you gt alert when someone tags you in conversations?

If you are in that conversation, you get an alert for the conversation message anyway.
If you are not in the conversation, you don't get an alert.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
Will you gt alert when someone tags you in conversations?
As an experiment, I just tagged you in a thread that you do not participate in. I'd be interested to know if you got any sort of an alert.

andrewkirk said:
in a thread?
or in a conversation?

andrewkirk said:
I'd be interested to know if you got any sort of an alert.
Yes,I got one.

Oh sorry, no that was in a thread. I get conversations and threads mixed up.
I removed the tag a couple of hours later because it was a crackpot thread (not of my making) and bound to get locked (which it since has been).

1. How do you tag a member on a social media platform?

To tag a member on a social media platform, simply type the "@" symbol and start typing their username. A drop-down menu will appear with suggested usernames, and you can click on the correct one to tag the member in your post or comment.

2. Can you tag multiple members in one post?

Yes, you can tag multiple members in one post by typing the "@" symbol followed by each username. Some social media platforms also allow you to tag multiple members by creating a group or using a specific tag feature.

3. How do you tag a member in a photo?

To tag a member in a photo, open the photo and click on the "Tag" button. Then, click on the person's face in the photo and start typing their username. Select the correct username from the drop-down menu to tag the member in the photo.

4. Can you tag a member who is not your friend?

It depends on the privacy settings of the social media platform. Some platforms allow you to tag anyone, while others only allow you to tag your friends or people within your network. You can also tag someone who is not your friend if they have enabled the option for anyone to tag them in their privacy settings.

5. How do you remove a tag from a member?

To remove a tag from a member, go to the post or photo where you tagged them and click on the "Remove Tag" button next to their name. The tag will be removed and they will no longer be tagged in that post or photo.