How can I understand an OR gate with diodes?

In summary, the circuit does not work as expected because the output is not equal to the sum of the voltages from the two diodes.
Hassan Raafat
can i understand at OR gate with diodes , why o/p not equal the sum of two voltages (5+5=10v) , it's confusing me ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have no idea what it is that you have imagined.

Likes Hassan Raafat
in OR gates as we have high(5v) on both two diodes why the result equal 4.3 as practical approximation ?
why don't we sum the two voltages resulted from two diodes ?

Hassan Raafat said:
why don't we sum the two voltages resulted from two diodes ?

we only sum voltages when they are connected in series.

Are yours not in parallel at the cathodes?

Have you a diagram from which you are working?

Why should we sum them? Or, why would we?
Diode_ORgate.png

The diodes simply connect the output to the 5V line (via a 0.7V drop)
Once the connection is made, further connections don't do anything new.
Since we have only 0 and 5V lines, all voltages in the (passive) circuit will lie between these two values.
If the top diodes were removed, the output would drop to 0V.
If 1, 2, 3 or 4 diodes connect to the 5V line the output is simply 5V less a diode drop.

Likes Hassan Raafat
so i consider if one works the o/p would be high non-caring case of other diodes , that right ?
finally thanks my professor :)

Likes jim hardy
Yes. Any diodes connected to a low voltage are reverse biased, do not conduct, so have no effect.
The resistor connects the output to low, but if any diodes are connected to high voltage, they conduct and raise the output to 4.3 V.

Likes jim hardy
If he showed you a circuit like this...
400px-Diode_OR_Ideal_Diode.jpg

The + sign is the logical operator for "OR" not "add the voltages".

Likes Hassan Raafat, sophiecentaur and jim hardy
Using the way back machine, I remember circuits with open collectors and simply wiring two signals together to get a virtual or gate. They were called "wired ors".

Jeff Rosenbury said:
Using the way back machine, I remember circuits with open collectors and simply wiring two signals together to get a virtual or gate. They were called "wired ors".
SN7438

upload_2016-2-29_4-46-50.png

upload_2016-2-29_4-48-29.png

Ah, the good old days!

A time when nothing worked right and inhaling lead based solder fumes was every EEs life quest.

Still used today... I think the Raspberry Pi has an I2C bus and (if the lead in the solder I use hasn't affected my brain) I think that uses an open collector/wired OR system.

CWatters said:
Still used today... I think the Raspberry Pi has an I2C bus and (if the lead in the solder I use hasn't affected my brain) I think that uses an open collector/wired OR system.
But now they're ROSH compliant wired or gates. :oldwink:

Hassan Raafat said:
can i understand at OR gate with diodes , why o/p not equal the sum of two voltages (5+5=10v) , it's confusing me ?
I know it's bit late for me to join in but it would have been a good idea to supply a diagram with this, initial question. Once C Watters supplied one, the answer was clear. Circuit problems are usually much more easily solved with the actual circuit sitting in front of you.
PS Now you've gone and rattled the cages of the 'Conservationists'! They will be sleeping tonight with visions of glowing radio valves and carbon resistors.

Likes Hassan Raafat
I love the smell of Kester44 in the morning...

No body was inhaling lead fumes (1750C to vaporize lead). It was flux fumes. You still inhale those. One develops a technique of exhaling to blow the flux away as they solder.

From wikipedia
The lead in solder will not typically get hot enough to vaporize and become airborne. However, you will end up with lead on your hands after handling solder, so it is necessary to wash your hands with soap and water afterwards. Lead is toxic and can cause a variety of health problems. Children and pregnant women should avoid all contact with lead due to the severe developmental problems it causes.

meBigGuy said:
No body was inhaling lead fumes (1750C to vaporize lead). It was flux fumes. You still inhale those. One develops a technique of exhaling to blow the flux away as they solder.

From wikipedia
The lead in solder will not typically get hot enough to vaporize and become airborne. However, you will end up with lead on your hands after handling solder, so it is necessary to wash your hands with soap and water afterwards. Lead is toxic and can cause a variety of health problems. Children and pregnant women should avoid all contact with lead due to the severe developmental problems it causes.
I wondered where that extra limb came from. :wideeyed:

sophiecentaur said:
I know it's bit late for me to join in but it would have been a good idea to supply a diagram with this, initial question. Once C Watters supplied one, the answer was clear. Circuit problems are usually much more easily solved with the actual circuit sitting in front of you.
PS Now you've gone and rattled the cages of the 'Conservationists'! They will be sleeping tonight with visions of glowing radio valves and carbon resistors.
thanks for your time :) , I've understood it .

1. What is an OR gate with diodes?

An OR gate with diodes is a logic gate that performs the logical OR operation using diodes as its main components. It takes two or more input signals and produces a single output signal based on the inputs. It is commonly used in digital electronics to combine multiple signals and determine if any one of the inputs is high (logic 1).

2. How does an OR gate with diodes work?

An OR gate with diodes works by using diodes as switches to connect the inputs to the output. When any one of the inputs is high, the corresponding diode will conduct and allow current to flow to the output, resulting in a high output signal. If all inputs are low, no diodes will conduct and the output will be low.

3. What are the advantages of using diodes in an OR gate?

Diodes have a low voltage drop and are inexpensive, making them an ideal component for use in logic gates. They also have a fast response time and can handle high frequencies, making them suitable for use in digital circuits.

4. Can an OR gate with diodes have more than two inputs?

Yes, an OR gate with diodes can have more than two inputs. The number of inputs depends on the design of the gate and the number of diodes used. However, the more inputs that are added, the more complex the circuit becomes.

5. How is an OR gate with diodes different from an OR gate with transistors?

An OR gate with diodes and an OR gate with transistors both perform the same logical operation, but they use different components to achieve it. While diodes are used as switches in an OR gate with diodes, transistors are used as amplifiers in an OR gate with transistors. Additionally, an OR gate with transistors can have more than two inputs without increasing the complexity of the circuit.