How can I use nodal analysis to solve for V in this circuit?

• Thread starter ptlffrty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the problem involves using nodal analysis to solve for the voltage V with polarity as shown. Using KCL and KVL equations, the solution is found to be V = 4.06V.
ptlffrty

Homework Statement

solve for voltage V with polarity as shown.
1ethjm.jpg

Homework Equations

KCL - current into a node = current out

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do nodal analysis using the top center node as v.

v/240 + (v-9)/100 - 20mA - v/100 = 0

=> v=26.4V

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Any tips to get me back on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think current leaving the node is positive (+20mA) and the current through the middle resistor must be the same as that current source since it's the same wire

The top node is not at V.

The current through the middle leg is constrained to 20 ma however, and you know that the currents coming in the top must sum to 20 ma.

I1 + I2 = 20 ma.

Hence construct your Voltage loops.

I think that will resolve into the current I2 that you need to determine the voltage across R3.

I'm confused again. How do I solve for the i1 and i2?

sum of the voltages in a loop = 0, so for loop 1 with current i1 on the eft:

v1 + v2 = 0
i1*r1 + i1*r2 = 0
i1*240 + i1*100 = 0

loop 2 with current i2 on right:

v2 + v3 = 0
i2*r2 + i2*r3 = 0
i2*100 + i2*100 = 0

I know I'm not calculating the loops correctly, what am I doing wrong?

240Ω*I1 = 20ma*100Ω

9v + 100Ω*I2 = 20ma*100Ω

and as before

I1 + I2 = 20ma

What's going wrong now?

240Ω*I1 = 20ma*100Ω

==> I1 = (20mA*100Ω)/240Ω
I1 = 8.33mA

9v + 100Ω*I2 = 20ma*100Ω

==> I2 = [(20mA*100Ω)-9]/100Ω
I2 = -70mA

I1 + I2 =/= 20

Here we go, I think I got it.

the two equations:
I1 - I2 = .02A (KCL top center node)
240I1 + 100I2 = 9V (KVL outer loop)

=> I1 = 20.59mA
=> I2 = 40.59mA

=> VR3 = I2 * R3 = 40.59 * 100 = 4.06V

Related to How can I use nodal analysis to solve for V in this circuit?

What is KCL/Nodal Analysis Problem?

KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) and Nodal Analysis are methods used to analyze electrical circuits. KCL is based on the principle that the sum of all currents entering a node (junction) in a circuit must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node. Nodal Analysis is a systematic approach for applying KCL to solve for unknown voltages in a circuit.

How do you apply KCL/Nodal Analysis to a circuit?

First, identify all the nodes in the circuit and label them. Then, write KCL equations for each node, setting the sum of all incoming currents equal to the sum of all outgoing currents. Use Ohm's Law to express the currents in terms of the unknown node voltages. Finally, solve the resulting simultaneous equations to find the unknown node voltages.

What are the advantages of using KCL/Nodal Analysis?

KCL and Nodal Analysis are systematic and reliable methods for solving complex electrical circuits. They can handle circuits with multiple voltage sources, resistors in parallel and series, and non-ideal components. These methods also provide a clear understanding of the circuit behavior and allow for easy modifications or additions to the circuit.

Are there any limitations to KCL/Nodal Analysis?

KCL and Nodal Analysis are only applicable to circuits that can be represented as a network of linear resistors and independent voltage sources. They also assume ideal components, which may not accurately reflect real-world circuits. In addition, these methods can become mathematically complex for large and complex circuits.

How can I check my KCL/Nodal Analysis solution?

To check your solution, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to calculate the voltages around any closed loop in the circuit. The sum of the voltage drops (due to resistors) and voltage rises (due to voltage sources) should equal zero. Additionally, you can use simulation software or a breadboard to physically test your circuit and compare the results to your calculated values.