What are the steps for solving a circuit using node voltage analysis?

• Thread starter rugerts
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using node voltage analysis to find the node voltages in a circuit. The homework equations involve using n-1 Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for n nodes, with ground being one of the nodes. The person attempting the solution has tried using KCL at each node and obtaining a fourth equation from a potential difference between two nodes. They are also considering using Cramer's Rule through a calculator. It is noted that there should be four independent equations to solve for the four unknown variables. The conversation also touches on a potential error with the equations and the solution is ultimately found with help from another person. Finally, it is mentioned that the circuit can be solved using only two node equations by treating two nodes as a
rugerts

Homework Statement

Using node voltage analysis, find the node voltages.

Homework Equations

n-1 Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for n nodes (since ground is a node).

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG-1910.JPG
IMG-1911.JPG

I've tried doing KCL at each node and then getting a fourth equation from a potential difference between nodes 2 and 3. I'm not sure if taking the fourth equation is entirely valid but I do believe I have seen this been done before solving using substitution. I am trying, however, to use Cramer's Rule through a calculator.

Since uploading pictures here always seems to turn out blurry, here's an imgur link: https://imgur.com/Xd8gqRx

Attachments

• IMG-1910.JPG
    IMG-1910.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,228
  • IMG-1911.JPG
    IMG-1911.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 562
Physics news on Phys.org
2 of your equations use the current i, but only second row of the matrix has a coefficient which will multiply by i.

Likes rugerts
I think you didn't transcribe correctly or forgot some terms when this one got put into the matrx:

Circuit_eq.jpg

And yes you should have 4 independent equations if you want to solve for the 4 unknown variables. It appears that your equations are independent.

Attachments

• Circuit_eq.jpg
    Circuit_eq.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 506
scottdave said:
2 of your equations use the current i, but only second row of the matrix has a coefficient which will multiply by i.
Well, it looks like that was the solution because my answers now agree with what the book has. Thank you for the keen eye! I appreciate the help.

Likes scottdave
Note that nodes V2 and V3 have a fixed potential difference thanks to the voltage source V. Hence, V2 and V3 comprise a supernode, and you have only two essential nodes. The circuit can be solved using just two node equations, (say for V1 and the supernode V2/3).

Likes scottdave and rugerts

1. How do I identify the nodes in a circuit?

In order to solve a circuit using node voltage analysis, the first step is to identify all the nodes in the circuit. Nodes are points in a circuit where two or more components are connected. They are usually represented by a dot or a junction. You can label the nodes with numbers or letters for easier identification.

2. What is Kirchhoff's Current Law and how does it apply to node voltage analysis?

Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and leaving a node must equal zero. In node voltage analysis, KCL is used to write equations for each node in the circuit, which can then be solved simultaneously to find the unknown node voltages.

3. How do I write equations for each node in a circuit?

To write equations using node voltage analysis, you need to use KCL and Ohm's Law. For each node, you can write an equation by summing the currents entering and leaving the node (KCL) and setting it equal to the voltage difference between the two nodes (Ohm's Law). This will result in a set of equations that can be solved to find the node voltages.

4. What if a voltage source is connected to a node in the circuit?

If a voltage source is connected to a node, you can treat it as a known voltage value in the equation for that node. This means that the voltage difference between the node and the source will be equal to the known voltage value.

5. How do I know if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to calculate the voltage drops across each component in the circuit. The sum of these voltage drops should equal the voltage source values in the circuit. If the values match, then your solution is correct.