How can I use Pneumatic Muscles as Hydraulic Muscles?

In summary, using water instead of air will reduce the risks and speed up the process of turning a pneumatic artificial muscle into a hydraulic one. You will need a stronger pump to power the mechanism, and some sort of pressure relief valve to protect the mechanism.
Warren Pnigel
Hi everyone, this is my first post
I was wondering how can I turn a pneumatic artificial muscle into a hydraulic one using water.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-air-muscles!/ These are the air muscles I was planning on using.
What sort of pump would I need? Please be specific as I'm not very experienced with this.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
There is no obvious problem changing the working fluid from air to water.
If you want speed, use pneumatics with a high pressure reservoir. If you want power use hydraulics with a low pressure reservoir tank and pump.

Air trapped in a hydraulics system can reduce rigidity and increase danger. That is because the compressibility of gas can store more energy than a liquid. With air in the system a hose failure can empty the hydraulic fluid very rapidly. There must be a way to vent air from the system.

Add car radiator antifreeze = ethylene glycol 33% to your water, 67%. It will reduce corrosion in your pump and valve system. It also prevents freezing in winter which can damage valves and will also help identify the source of leaks.

Likes Warren Pnigel
Thanks! Just for the point of using hydraulics, I'd like to use hydraulics :D even though it sounds dumb. Can you recommend a fast pump at all?

I think your first move should be to make a "muscle" and identify the magnitude of the load that will be applied to the muscle. From that position you can measure the volume of fluid and the pressure needed to actuate the mechanism as the length changes. You will then be in a position to select a pump. You will also need some form of pressure relief or safety valve to protect the muscle.

There are a couple of topological possibilities, you could have only one pump but several valves, one valve for each muscle, or you could have a pump for each muscle, without any valves. Will the energy to drive the pump come from an electric motor?

Likes Warren Pnigel
Yes, I'll drive the pump with a motor. I already have a motor laying around which I'll use for testing, but it's not very strong. I'll probably upgrade it later.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply to this thread as well, you've helped me alot! :)

1. How do pneumatic muscles work?

Pneumatic muscles work by using compressed air or gas to expand and contract a flexible rubber or fabric tube. This expansion and contraction mimics the movement of human muscles and can be controlled through changes in air pressure.

2. How can pneumatic muscles be used as hydraulic muscles?

Pneumatic muscles can be used as hydraulic muscles by connecting them to a hydraulic system. The compressed air or gas can be replaced with a hydraulic fluid, allowing the muscle to expand and contract with the same principles as a hydraulic cylinder.

3. What are the benefits of using pneumatic muscles as hydraulic muscles?

Using pneumatic muscles as hydraulic muscles can offer several benefits, including increased flexibility and range of motion, lighter weight, and easier control of movement through changes in pressure. They also have a lower risk of leakage compared to traditional hydraulic cylinders.

4. Are there any limitations to using pneumatic muscles as hydraulic muscles?

There are some limitations to using pneumatic muscles as hydraulic muscles. They may not be suitable for heavy load-bearing applications, as they have a lower maximum force capacity compared to traditional hydraulic cylinders. They also require a constant source of air or gas to maintain their function.

5. How can I determine the right size and type of pneumatic muscle for my application?

Determining the right size and type of pneumatic muscle for your application will depend on factors such as the required force, movement speed, and environment. It is best to consult with a pneumatic muscle supplier or engineer to determine the most suitable option for your specific needs.